Views
Helpful
Replies

No 'remote command switch-number' command on 3850 stack

Sergio Pardo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community,

In the old Catalyst 3750, there was the remote command switch-number command to execute a command from the master switch to a member switch.

Now, I have a Catalyst 3850 stack with version 16.12.5b and I cannot find this command. However, the reference command guide recommends this command for troubleshooting:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/16-12/command_reference/b_1612_3850_cr/layer_2_3_commands.html?bookSearch=true

The guide also recommends the session command, but I cannot find it in the switch too.

My doubt is if the command reference guide is wrong, something in the software is wrong or I am doing something wrong.

Same doubt for the 9300 platform.

Thanks for the support.

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Sergio Pardo wrote:

Now, I have a Catalyst 3850 stack with version 16.12.5b

Avoid using 16.12.X.

Sergio Pardo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Leo,

Thanks for your comment.

Although it is an off-topic comment, I would appreciate it if you could extend your comment.

Returning to the topic, the command does not exist in version 16.9.5 either.

Looks for now  the the command depricated, Never used myself or found on 3850 and Cat 9300  (i will re-connect and do testing, for now as i remember NO).

it can only use for debug i guess.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

@Sergio Pardo wrote:

Returning to the topic, the command does not exist in version 16.9.5 either.

The command "remote command" is not supported in IOS-XE.  

The "session" command is only supported in IOS-XE version 3.X.X and is not supported in 16.X.X and 17.X.X.

@Sergio Pardo wrote:

Although it is an off-topic comment, I would appreciate it if you could extend your comment.

16.12.X has several bugs affecting memory leak and CPU.  There are "more than usual" amount in 16.12.X than any other IOS-XE version.  Pay close attention to the CPU and memory, particularly the CPU- and memory-levels on a per-switch-member-level.  

IOS-XE is used in appliances that have multiple CPUs.  Do not use the traditional "sh process cpu history" or "sh process memory" command because it is very misleading.  The traditional command will only provide the CPU level of a single CPU or the memory of the entire stack.   

A more accurate command is to use the following: 

1.  sh platform software status control-processor brief - This command will provide a summary of the Memory and CPU levels of each CPU on an individual switch member basis.  Take note, it will map out each individual CPU levels of each switch member.  

2.  sh processes memory platform sorted location switch <1 to 16> r0 - If the memory is too high, use this command to determine which process(es) is chewing too much memory.  The order is based on the RSS value (highest to lowest).  

3.  sh processes cpu platform sorted location switch <1 to 16> r0 - This command is not just very good in determine which process is hogging the CPU but it will also identify which CPU is "hot spinning".  

Hello Leo,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions, I will review our switches behaviour and reevaluate the 16.12.X version.

@Leo Laohoo wrote:

The command "remote command" is not supported in IOS-XE.  

The "session" command is only supported in IOS-XE version 3.X.X and is not supported in 16.X.X and 17.X.X.

So, the command reference guide is wrong and we should inform Cisco.

I used the remote command to see details in a member switch. For example, the last reload reason or see local logs. I suppose that there is no way to check these things from a remote connection.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card