Helpful
Replies

NSSA vs Stub !?

mohammed hashim
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

with this table, 

so Stub area does not install anything above LSA3, instead it uses default route. essentially there is only LSA4 and LSA5 needed, this is because LSA7 is made specially for NSSA areas.

in contrast, NSSA share some of this operation with Stub area except that for external route, instead of injecting it as LSA5, use LSA7 !!

so now NSSA does also the same as Normal area, means it accept external routes injection, and it use LSAs 1, 2 and 3

Q1\ what is the different here in the operation between Normal area NSSA area !?

Q2\ if NSSA only provide LSA7 injection, why this is not made as an option on Stub area instead of developing new Area type?

thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Q1 In a normal area, for example perhaps area 1 is a normal area. In that normal area it could receive an LSA type 5 for an external route learned from area 2 and could also have an ASBR in area 1 redistributing some protocol and generating external routes within the area. If area 3 were NSSA it would not receive the external route generated in area 2. It would only have the type 7 generated by the ASBR in its own area. So the main difference between a normal area and an NSSA area is that the normal area can receive external routes generated in some other area while the NSSA does not receive external from other areas.

Q2 NSSA is an option in the stub area and is not a new area type.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Q1: other OSPF area LSAs are blocked.

Q2: not only, but more.  It supports injection of externals.  This feature is what's added to a stub to make it NSSA.

Q1 In a normal area, for example perhaps area 1 is a normal area. In that normal area it could receive an LSA type 5 for an external route learned from area 2 and could also have an ASBR in area 1 redistributing some protocol and generating external routes within the area. If area 3 were NSSA it would not receive the external route generated in area 2. It would only have the type 7 generated by the ASBR in its own area. So the main difference between a normal area and an NSSA area is that the normal area can receive external routes generated in some other area while the NSSA does not receive external from other areas.

Q2 NSSA is an option in the stub area and is not a new area type.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

thanks for clarification

You are welcome. Thank you for using the rating system to mark this question as answered. This will help other readers in the forum to identify discussions that have helpful information. These forums are a good place to learn about networking and to find solutions for problems. I hope to see you continue to be active in the forums.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard, 

I have always seen you and Joseph and other experts here helping us to be experts :)

"one day hopefully"

I am really thankful for all your help,,,

Thank you for the kind words. At one point I was also a beginner who was learning about networking. I was grateful to have people who showed me the way and shared what they knew. So I am glad to now be able to show other people the way and to share what I know. As you learn more you will also be able to help others and I hope that you will.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card