cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NTP

g.leonard
Level 1
Level 1

I have tried to get our 6500 to use the PDC emulator for our domain as an NTP server by specifying "ntp server x.x.x.x" where the IP address is that of the said server.

Although the switch states that this is the configured NTP server it isn't synchronised to it. Any suggestions?

11 Replies 11

vijayasankar
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Would it be possible for you the paste the output of "show ntp" and "show ntp associations" command here.

Have a look at this URL for further troubleshooting.

Are you having NTP service installed / running in your server.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1818/products_tech_note09186a008015bb3a.shtml

Hope this helps.

-VJ

Hi VJ - please see the following:

sh ntp status

Clock is unsynchronized, stratum 16, no reference clock

nominal freq is 250.0000 Hz, actual freq is 250.0000 Hz, precision is 2**18

reference time is 00000000.00000000 (00:00:00.000 GMT Mon Jan 1 1900)

clock offset is 0.0000 msec, root delay is 0.00 msec

root dispersion is 0.00 msec, peer dispersion is 0.00 msec

sh ntp associations

address ref clock st when poll reach delay offset disp

~x.x.x.x .LOCL. 1 202 1024 377 0.8 -34713 2.0

* master (synced), # master (unsynced), + selected, - candidate, ~ configured

Hi,

Please paste the output of the commands -->

show ntp status

show ntp associations

Also have you entered the following command alongwith the other NTP configuration -->

ntp update-calendar

Hope this helps..

Regards,

AbhisheK

Please rate all helpful posts!!!

I have entered "ntp update-calendar"

Please see other post for outputs.

Hi,

I needed you to paste the output of "show ntp status" and "show ntp associations" after you entered the above mentioned command. Can you please do that?

Regards,

AbhisheK

Please rate all helpful posts!!!

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

Make sure that you do not have any firewalls or ACL's blocking the NTP protocol. Also make sure that you are forwarding the NTP protocol correctly (from Server to client).You may have to enable the IP HELPER-ADDRESS on your interface (side where client is located) to allow for the NTP UDP protocol to pass. See if these hints help you out..Please rate....

morten.zwergius
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Have you solved this issue?

Regards

Morten Zwergius

morten.zwergius
Level 1
Level 1

address ref clock st when poll reach delay offset disp

~x.x.x.x .LOCL. 1 202 1024 377 0.8 -34713 2.0

The show ntp associations tells us that the ntp client reaches the configured ntp server. It also tells us that there's an 9+ hours offset from the local clock in cat6500 to the ntp servers clock. The configured ntp server is a stratum 1 server, but the clock is not synced.

If you have configured the cat6500 with the 'ntp master' command, you might have an equal ntp stratum on your client and your server, hence, your client will NOT sync it's time to the server. If so, and you need the ntp master command on your cat6500, correct the stratum to a lower level (that is higher, actually :-) e.g. stratum-2.

Regards

Morten Zwergius

Hi Morten

I haven't configured the switch with "ntp master" unless it is set by default. I noticed the offset so I configured another switch the same with the clock set correctly and it too failed to sync. I had read that if the offset is large it can take a while to sync but this didn't help unfortunately.

Well - then we can rule that one out. And no, the ntp master command is not default.

Maybe your ntp server is actually a SNTP server? What software are you running on your server?

If you are using MS OS you're probably just using SNTP (RFC2030). If you need NTP servers (RFC1305), Google is your friend :-)

Regards

Morten

By the way - could you provide the output from 'show ntp association detail', please.

/Morten Zwergius

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card