Number of IP available soon finished in a subnet

abtt-39
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,
I have a subnet reserved for servers ( vlan 2) in /24. fixed IP

10.39.1.0 /24 so 254 hosts.
We will soon have no IP available.
Solution 1 : by changing the mask I can increase the number of IPs. If a replace /24 by /23 =512 hosts
But this will imply that I will have to modify wherever it is configured manually. Static route, many firewall rules, servers, vswitch, core network etc....

And I would be afraid to forget things in a production environment

Solution 2: create a new subnet (for example server 2, 10.39.2.0/24) and make the previous one (server 1) see each other. dynamic routing is active on the core,And added some static routes to firewall, proxy etc...

Like this :

interface Vlan3
description Vlan 2 - Servers-2
ip address 10.39.2.254 255.255.255.0

In my case, what is the best solution?

Option 2 seems easier to me. But I don't know the best practices in this case, and I might be missing something

thank you for your feedback

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As /23s, I believe, are still considered "biggish" for wired networks (although servers might be less broadcast "chatty" and/or don't know how many servers you may eventually have in the /23), I would recommend using a new /24.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As /23s, I believe, are still considered "biggish" for wired networks (although servers might be less broadcast "chatty" and/or don't know how many servers you may eventually have in the /23), I would recommend using a new /24.

Thank you  Joseph

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card