cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OEM GBIC SFP Modules not working in C1000 series

INFOTECH.jw
Level 1
Level 1

In some low budget project we use OEM SFP modules succesfully.
Now in the C1000 switch series (for exmple C1000-8FP-2G-L) the modules will be err-disabled after reload of the switch:

*Oct 28 15:33:50.232: %GBIC_SECURITY_CRYPT-4-VN_DATA_CRC_ERROR: GBIC in port Gi1/0/9 has bad crc
*Oct 28 15:33:50.233: %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: gbic-invalid error detected on Gi1/0/9, putting Gi1/0/9 in err-disable state
*Oct 28 15:33:50.288: %PHY-5-TRANSCEIVERINSERTED: Slot=1 Port=9: Transceiver has been inserted

Plugging in the module in a running device everything works. Untiul reboot...

"service unsupported-transceiver" seems to be removed in IOS (not available anymore in 15(2).7xx)
"no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid" doesn't solve the problem

"sh controllers ethernet-controller gigabitEthernet 1/0/9 phy detail" BEFORE reboot shows:

General SFP Information
-----------------------------------------------
Identifier : 0x03
Connector : 0x07
Transceiver : 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x01 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
Encoding : 0x01
BR_Nominal : 0x0D
Vendor Name : CISCO-FINISAR
Vendor Part Number : FTRJ8519P1BNL-C3
Vendor Revision : 0x31 0x30 0x2E 0x30
Vendor Serial Number : FNS111ABC123
-----------------------------------------------
Other Information
-------------------------------------------------------
Port asic num : 0
Port asic port num : 0
XCVR init completed : 1
Embedded PHY : not present
SFP presence index : 1
SFP iter cnt : 48
SFP failed oper flag : 0x0

AFTER reboot this value is different:

XCVR init completed : 0

Some other register are different, too.

Any workarounds known?

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Use this app to verify sfp compatibilities :

https://tmgmatrix.cisco.com/

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

controlco
Level 1
Level 1

The worst part is Cisco is claiming that the SFP is not legit, when I know it is.    They just jerked me around for a couple of weeks, the customer is pissT.

ITOTGuy
Level 1
Level 1

I have this problem too even on both C1000-24T-4G-L and a C1000-8T-2G-L. It seems to break every GLC-LG-SMD sfp that I plug into either one. I took them right out of the bag too. If I plug the SFP into a different model switch, it's no longer recognizable and the port goes straight to err-disable. I even checked the compatibility matrix tool and both switches are on a version higher than the recommended. I lost 4 brand new SFPs in testing this out. 

cozzmo
Level 1
Level 1

I posted this reply here once before, buy my post seems to have vanished... 

This is the 1st place I see that anyone has brought up the fact that c1000's are totally incompatible with just about every SFP out there. (So thank you for that, It is dead on)!
I just got quite a few of the C1000's, they are running 15.2(7)E5, I like the switch, but getting any SFP to work is a bear.
Out of about 50 SFP's, I only found only one that works! It is a Cisco "GLC-SX-MM", however, I am afraid to order more, They might somehow be different and not work.
I also want copper Gig SFP's. all of the ones I have are incompatible. (And yes, I have a few that are labled "Cisco", they should work).
I have never heard of much less used an "SFP reprogrammer", but I don't think I am ready to go to the mat and have my work to shell out $600 on an unheard of device and then find out that it doesn't work.
NOTE: These commands don't help:
service-unsupported transceiver !(Doesn't work on the C1000 )
service internal
no errdisable detect cause sfp-config-mismatch
no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid  !(Although, it does keep it from going into err-disable every time I try another unsuccessfull SFP)

The manual says (Incorrectly) "The Cisco Catalyst 1000 Series Switches support a wide range of optics."

Also, can someone state from experience, exactly where I can get a c1000-compatible gig SFP? (one copper and one MMF)

One that will definitely be compatible with the c1000? 

(Please.... Not the compatibility matrix page, It is quite general and misleading. I have at least one of the listed SFP's and it is NOT compatible),

Thanks

keywords Cisco C1000, SFP, compatibility, Incompatible, incompatibility, crzzy1

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card