cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OK to hot-plug modules into a C4506-E?

Willard Dennis
Level 1
Level 1

Tried to look on the Cisco site for this switch model, could not readily find the answer...

I have a C4506-E switch with a Sup 6L-E running cat4500e-LANBASEK9-M, Version 12.2(53)SG1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

I just got a WS-X4648-RJ45-E module, and I need to insert it. Can I do it while the system is in operation, or will it take downtime?

Thanks,

Will

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 4500 and 6500 were designed to be able to hot swap modules in the chassis (that's part of what you pay for).

Having said that i have done a fair few hot swaps and 99% fof them worked fine. But there is the odd one where inserting a new linecard reset the switch.

So the answer is that you should be fine to do it but if you can at least do it at a "quiet" time on your network that would be better.

Jon

View solution in original post

manju.cisco
Level 3
Level 3

Here i found the link .......... the power supplies and line cards are plug are play

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_white_paper09186a0080103dd4.shtml

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

manju.cisco
Level 3
Level 3

I think it you should be able to do it........but lets wait for some more opinions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 4500 and 6500 were designed to be able to hot swap modules in the chassis (that's part of what you pay for).

Having said that i have done a fair few hot swaps and 99% fof them worked fine. But there is the odd one where inserting a new linecard reset the switch.

So the answer is that you should be fine to do it but if you can at least do it at a "quiet" time on your network that would be better.

Jon

manju.cisco
Level 3
Level 3

Here i found the link .......... the power supplies and line cards are plug are play

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_white_paper09186a0080103dd4.shtml

Willard Dennis
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks guys. As it turns out, there was a paper manual in the module box entitled "Catalyst 4500 Series Supervisor Engines and Switching Modules Installation Note" that states:

All Catalyst 4500 series switches support hot swapping, [...]

So I just should have opened the module box first!

Thanks for the quick response though... The module has been inserted and is up and running.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card