cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF advertisement question

mmercaldieze
Level 1
Level 1

I am going to be setting up OSPF in my network and it has been while since I have done OSPF from the ground up.

if my address associated with the ospf link is 1.1.1.1 /24 and I ahve 3 other networks configured on it:

192.168.1.0/24

192.168.2.0/24

192.168.3.0/24

when I setup the ospf statement to advertise the routes do I just need the statement:

network 1.1.1.1 0.0.0.0 area 0

or do I need to do 

network 1.1.1.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

network 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

network 192.168.2.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

network 192.168.2.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

16 Replies 16

Thanks Paul for mentioning that.
My terminolgy was wrong. I did mean OSPF Multipoint. I meant Ethernet provide a point to multipoint network(from a node perspective), so DR must be chosen, and it will be done automatically. I will correct my post.

Masoud

Hello

The ospf network type is defined on the interface and is dependent oo the physical media type being used.

Example: interfaces
Serial interfaces = point-to-point
Ethernet – Broadcast
Loopback = Loopback

NON-Broadcast is unicast which means to get the router to establish an adjacency with another ospf router  the "neighbor"command is required and it goes through DR/BDR election

Now If you use Ethernet then this by default is a broadcast medium and as such OSPF will default to Broadcast network type thus incurring DR/BDR election process, but this can be negated and set as a point-to-point network type

int x/x ( Ethernet media)
ip ospf network point-to-point

Lastly if you advertised any loopback interfaces in OSPF with ip addressing other than a /32 then you need to define this ip ospf network point-to-point under the loopback interface as if you don’t OSPF will advertise this as a host prefix in its routing process

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card