Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF redistribution from static

Undertaken
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I am trying to ping from the internet cloud f0/0 interface which has ip address 189.10.121.2\25 to a router that has an ospf on it. I can not being any device or the next router serial interface which has an ip address 172.16.255.1\30. I can only ping from the internet f0/0 to the router f0/1 because I have a static route. I do not know for sure if there is something missing in the ospf configuration or the redistribute is not working. 

Any help would be appreciate it 

R-01

interface FastEthernet0/0

no ip address

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

description WAN

ip address 189.10.121.3 255.255.255.128

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface Serial0/0/0

ip address 172.16.255.1 255.255.255.0

!

interface Serial0/0/1

no ip address

clock rate 2000000

!

interface Vlan1

no ip address

shutdown

!

router ospf 20

log-adjacency-changes

redistribute static

network 172.16.255.0 0.0.0.255 area 20

default-information originate

!

ip classless

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 189.10.121.2

Internet router 

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address 189.10.121.2 255.255.255.128

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

ip address 8.0.0.8 255.0.0.0

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface Ethernet0/0/0

ip address 4.1.1.1 255.0.0.0

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface Ethernet0/1/0

no ip address

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface Vlan1

no ip address

shutdown

!

router rip

!

ip classless

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 189.10.121.11

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ok change the route or add one new as suggested and let me know.
To be sure your downstream router can reach back your internet router, you need to validate that ospf is up and running (adjacency formed).

Also on R1, you only have 1 static route which is the default route. You don't need to do redistribute static because default-information originate will announce a default ospf route to all peers as soon as you have your static default route. You can remove redistribute static.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

Just to be sure. Your trying to ping the router with IP 172.16.1.1 from your internet router?

If yes, for now it's not an ospf issue (you shared internet router and the router in between).
Your internet router has a default route pointing to an IP which isn't the router R1 that makes the link to your 172.16.1.1 router you're trying to access.
Or you change your default route to .3 IP instead of .11 or you created a specific route for 172.16.0.0/16 for example pointing to IP .3

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

I am trying to being R-1 serial interface or anything behind it

You mean you're trying to ping anything behind R1 serial? Then the info about your static route on your internet router is still valid

Thanks
Francesco

Yes thats what I meant 

Ok change the route or add one new as suggested and let me know.
To be sure your downstream router can reach back your internet router, you need to validate that ospf is up and running (adjacency formed).

Also on R1, you only have 1 static route which is the default route. You don't need to do redistribute static because default-information originate will announce a default ospf route to all peers as soon as you have your static default route. You can remove redistribute static.

Thanks
Francesco

Francesco thank you very much. 

I did add a new route in the internet router with an ip 189.10.121.3 and I was able to being. The problem is in this lab I can not add or change any thing in the internet cloud. Is there any way around it make it work?

Great to know it worked.

It should have...

Because you got a correct solution based on the topology and the requirement you shared.

Now.... first thing first.... Since the above suggestion worked for you... mark that post as helpful/ (It will only encourage him to help more people like you and me for free)

The question you should be asking yourself is..

1.  If there is a configuration change required on internet cloud router.. Why unnecessarily mess with the WORKING configuration of other routers.

2.  Who manages the internet cloud router?

3. If Internet cloud Router needs to be reconfigured.. Why not approach the tech who supports/manages your Internet cloud router and get the issue resolve.

4. Why beat around the bush.

Regards,

Moses.

ok, if we talk now about reality, you won't be able to ping your private IPs from internet. The only way to access services hosted internally from internet, it would be to configure NAT.

Thanks
Francesco
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card