Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF redistribution with single internal IP subnet with two different GW IP

MAKhan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

need to understand if one /28 IP subnet can be redistributed through two different OSPF areas? for example:

GEO Location-1

ring having primary Ethernet IP address 10.10.1.1 and GW IP address 10.10.1.254 with internal ring IP subnet 10.10.3.1 - 10.10.3.14 /28 with OSPF area 101

GEO Location-2

same ring having secondary Ethernet IP 10.10.2.1 and GW IP address 10.10.2.254 with same internal ring IP subnet 10.10.3.1 - 10.10.3.14 /28 with OSPF area 201

thank you and best regards

Asghar

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't see why not.

View solution in original post

Hello

If i understand you correctly then NO you wont be able to, as both areas will try to advertise the same subnet and as such either area wont have visibility to the other for that /28 subnet or if you try changing metric types then one area are may have visibility to the other but than wont have access to its own /28

Lasty if the goal it to not advertise the same /28 to the other areas then its possible to do , But then you could open up yourself to potential route leaking and as such could result in the above.

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't see why not.

Hello

If i understand you correctly then NO you wont be able to, as both areas will try to advertise the same subnet and as such either area wont have visibility to the other for that /28 subnet or if you try changing metric types then one area are may have visibility to the other but than wont have access to its own /28

Lasty if the goal it to not advertise the same /28 to the other areas then its possible to do , But then you could open up yourself to potential route leaking and as such could result in the above.

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card