cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OWN BGP Autonomous system problem

usman198
Level 1
Level 1

i need suggestion , i am designing a voip whole sale solution for a company i need to know

if company buy and own AS autonomous system , is there any use of it , they want to reduce latency on WAN links from point to point , but i think even own AS system how to implement BGP ,

-you can configure own site but what about other site no one allow it to change bgp for one route .

2- it will be expensive to own one more question how to check latency on BGP peers ,

i was seeing ciso documents they have mbgp management protocol for BGP but can not on mibs or snmp on other customer sites

ownin AS will increase hop counts i think instead reducing .

Thx

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ravindra Simpi
Level 1
Level 1

Having a own AS will not help in reducing latency in WAN links. However, you can send route updates to your SP by tweaking BGP attributes (AS_PATH, MED) to influence routing that takes place on SPs router (this will be useful if you are multihoming). 

If we have data of what is the volume and type of traffic flowing through these wan links, we can configure QoS to prioritize appropriate traffic.

Peace and Health,

Ravindra

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Ravindra Simpi
Level 1
Level 1

Having a own AS will not help in reducing latency in WAN links. However, you can send route updates to your SP by tweaking BGP attributes (AS_PATH, MED) to influence routing that takes place on SPs router (this will be useful if you are multihoming). 

If we have data of what is the volume and type of traffic flowing through these wan links, we can configure QoS to prioritize appropriate traffic.

Peace and Health,

Ravindra

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card