cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

P2P filtering and shaping

sarenos2006
Level 1
Level 1

Which solution has Cisco for filtering and traffic shaping in Peer to peer programas, like bit torrent and edonkey?

Is it possible to detect, block and shape obfuscated and encrypted Peer to Peer programs?

regards

4 Replies 4

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

albert.remo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Greeting! I have handled filtering P2P and other unwanted traffic using the Cisco Service Control Solution. It is a great Cisco solution and it surely works. The solution consists of the Cisco SCE (Service Control Engine), a Collection Manager, a Subscriber Manager and a configuration and management application tool. This solution would best benefit service providers because you can control layers 4-7 traffic even up to each subscriber.

It uses application signatures to determine types of traffic passing through the engine.

To know more about the solution, please take time to visit this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6135/index.html

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Albert

Hi Albert,

I'm also impressed from this Solution. I have a question to you. We have SCE2020 and an Collection Manager no Subscriber Manager. I shape P2P-Traffic in Peaktimes and I can say it works. I have configured an P2P-Upstream Global Conroller and P2P-Downstream Global Conrtroller that's shaping P2P Traffic. We have 200 Megs in Downstream P2P Traffic, I reduce the Traffic with the Global P2P-Downstream Controller to 4%. For my understanding must that allow 40 Megs P2P Traffic, but we have 75 Mbit/s, from all P2P Protocols. Do you know how Cisco calculated this % in the Global Controller?

Thanks Bjoern

Hi Bjoern,

Good Day! I really don't know how it is calculated but as based on our deployments, there is a +/-10% difference so it should be around 44Mbits/s. Please do note that there are a lot of services that are considered as P2P and you should configure them to pass through your Global P2P Controller.

Regards,

Albert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card