Views
Helpful
Replies

P2P switching 6509s

djpk05
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to figure the issue I'm having with a P2P circuit between two of my sites.  They are connected by two 6509s.  It is a simple config.  

switchport

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport runk allowed vlan 220

switchport mode trunk

This is all I have configured on both sides.  And, the link is up/up.  However, I can't seem to pass any traffic through.  If I configure them as access mode, it worked.  When I looked at spanning-tree details, I see "BPDU received 0" on both sides.  I contacted the carrier and I was told they don't see anything wrong with their circuit.  Any suggestions?  I really appreciate your help.

4 Replies 4

Hello,

odd. What if you remove:

switchport trunk allowed vlan 220

on both sides ?

Hello

If your just pasing a single vlan then why not use an access port, a trunk isnt required unless you are carrying multiple vlans and it seems your not.

sh vlan brief
sh int x/x switchport
sh spanning-tree vlan xxx
sh spanning-tree detail

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi

I agree with Paul. Use mode access if you only have one vlan.

But if you later on needs more vlans, then you will be in trouble. It may be that your provider doesn't deal with dot1q tags. And therefore, it is not working. You can try with your config, and change the native vlan to 220. If it then starts to work, I would talk to the provider and ask them if they have problem with forwarding dot1q tagged traffic.

/Mikael

djpk05
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your replies.  I need to push more than one vlan.  I was testing it with one.  I'll try to work with my provider on this matter.  Thanks again.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card