cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet Tracer Help. What am I Missing. New to Packet Tracer

Malgandalf01
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to PT and taking the online intro course.

One of the designs they are using at the beginning has three computers connected to a WRT300N which connects to the internet via a cable modem the the cloud then to a server.

I cannot for the life of me get the WRT300n to receive an ip address in the internet port so I cannot ping or get DNS from a workstation to the remote server.

. What silly little thing am I missing?

Yes I am currently a complete noob with PT.

TIA - Mike

45 Replies 45

Hello,

I think the Internet DHCP range is just a random range PT uses. What exactly are the instructions ? The weird thing is that the file you sent me does not work (no end to end connectivity), but the one I originally posted (and attached here) seems to work. I cannot really see a difference. Do you have end to end connectivity when you open the attached file ?

Thanks, Georg.

As far as I know the only changes I made to your originally posted setup was to physically move some of the devices around on the canvas and change some names.

I can ping the Cisco server from PC0 in your version, but not the other way round (should I be able to?)

Did you have any other thoughts on my other questions?

Thanks!

This was the exact problem. I went over the instructions 3 times and couldn't for the life of me figure out where i went wrong- when the actual problem was faulty instructions. Aces man, really appreciate the help!!!

Hi @dsunderlin 

Compress the exercise (winzip) with your progress and attach it to review.

Regards

@wmtski666what PT version did you complete this on? I could not achieve it on v7.3.0 but using a DSL-modem with a 'phone' cable to the cloud device worked.I also could not reproduce the results following the instructions on 2.1.1.5.

Hi @CharltonOmondi0495 

Compress the exercise (winzip) with your progress and attach it to review.

Regards

Hi @luis_cordova 

See attached.

Hi @CharltonOmondi0495 

I have opened the exercise with version 7.3.0 and the connectivity objective is achieved.

12.jpg

Regards

Hi @luis_cordova 

Sorry you may have missed my question.Yes that file works as is even for me in V7.3.0.However, it is not a 1 for 1 replication of what was outlined in the instructions for 2.1.1.5.My question was, why is the original instruction not working for me?What versions are the guys who managed to replicate it using?

perfect! that worked for me... thanks mate

Also if you choose the CORRECT WIRELESS ROUTER you will be abble to use the Straight-Through to connect to Cable Modem just as shown in the instruction.

@wmtski666 wrote:

I know this is an old question, but ... here's worked for me for the PacketTracer 2.1.1.5 tutorial:

Use a crossover cable between wireless router and cable modem, not the straight-through cable shown in the instructions...

I was able to get it working with a cross-over cable and cable modem. Which is not what the tutorial says to do at all:

> The wireless router will need a copper straight-through cable to connect to the cable modem

Thanks for posting your solution!

Thanks, the crossover cable also turned the missing connection the modem on for me (and then ipconfig /release and /renew on both PC and laptop to actually be able to ping cisco.com).

I also needed to change the Ethernet6 setting to Cable *before* the Cable setup step described in the manual (for some reason it's described it the other way around which won't work).  

We're in late 2020, and this is still a problem with the instructions first described in late 2017 as per this thread... just saying

federicosantoni
Level 1
Level 1

Excuse me if i revive this old thread, but i solved this choosing the "WRT300N" Router from the list, in place of the "Home Router"; and i believe is that first device the one you are supposed to configure according to the 2.1.1.5 ex.'s guideline. In fact, during my first attempt, i could not understand where was the problem but i imagined it was with the connection between the router and the modem; i managed to accomplish the exercise with both routers, but still i can't explain why you have to use a copper cross-over wire with the Home Router (A) or a  Copper straight-through with the WRT300N(B)... ex.jpg

2238090S
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I know this is an old question but I had the same problem and thought I would share what worked for me, while following the instructions in the official tutorial exactly.

1) The connection has been made as in the tutorial.

1.PNG

2) It is not possible to connect coaxial to fast ethernet cable in Cloud - Config - Connections - Cable.

2.PNG

3) Go to "FastEthernet" under Cloud - Config - Interface - FastEthernet.

3.PNG

4) Change from "DSL" to "Cable"

4.PNG

5) It  is now possible to make the connection from step 2).

5.PNG

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card