Helpful
Replies

Passing binary data between two ports in the same switch and use SPAN

ivanmk
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

Scenario:

I have a Cisco Catalyst 3560c-8 switch. I also have two end-point devices connected with an RJ45 cable between them, not passing through the switch (these two are not computers but PCBs maybe taking TCP maybe talking some other data protocol like serial data).

Objective:

I would like to connect each devices with an RJ45 cable to the switch (say port 1 and 2) and allow all data to pass-through between them transparently. Also I would like to SPAN both ports to other two ports (say port 3 and 4) in the switch for monitoring all the binary data that pass through them.

Is this possible? How do you recommend to do this?

Regards

Ivan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

If these two ports on the PCB:s are ethernet ports, then it is no problem. However, if the ports are not ethernet ports it is not doable. Remember, because it is rj45, it is not ethernet for sure, it can be something else. For example console ports is often rj45, but they can not deal with ethernet frames.

If the ports are ethernet, then connect each PCB to a port in the switch, and see if it is going online (port up).

Then configure span port, one session for each port. Not sure about 3560c, but a lot of switches support more than 1 span session. Maybe one session is enough, because you can specify that both tx and rx is spanned from one port.

/Mikael

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

If these two ports on the PCB:s are ethernet ports, then it is no problem. However, if the ports are not ethernet ports it is not doable. Remember, because it is rj45, it is not ethernet for sure, it can be something else. For example console ports is often rj45, but they can not deal with ethernet frames.

If the ports are ethernet, then connect each PCB to a port in the switch, and see if it is going online (port up).

Then configure span port, one session for each port. Not sure about 3560c, but a lot of switches support more than 1 span session. Maybe one session is enough, because you can specify that both tx and rx is spanned from one port.

/Mikael

Thank you for your reply Mikael, I will look into the type of data I have and probably come back for more help.

Regards, Ivan

Hello,

what is the exact type/model of the PCBs ?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card