cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PBR in Hardware

m.glosson
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings. I'm pretty sure the answer is "yes," but I just wanted to throw the question to the audience anyway...

You can set the ME3400 switch set to the Routing SDM template such that it support PBR. That is done in the ASICs, right? Because if it is done in software the switch could quickly become overwhelmed.

Thanks,

Matt

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Matt,

Please look at the config guide.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/metro/me3400/software/release/12.2_58_se/configuration/guide/swsdm.html

Layer-2—The layer-2 template maximizes system resources for Layer 2 functionality and does not support routing. You should use this template when the switch is being used for Layer-2 forwarding. When you select the layer-2 template on a switch running the metro IP access image, any routing is done through software, which overloads the CPU and severely degrades routing performance.

Default—The default template gives balance to all functions: Layer 2 and Layer 3 (routing). This template is available only on switches running the metro IP access image. If you do not use the default template when routing is enabled on the switch, any routing is done through software, which overloads the CPU and severely degrades routing performance.

Be VERY careful with the selection of the SDM template as you

can seriously degrade your switch CPU operation.

Make sure you know exactly which image you are running.

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

View solution in original post

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

It's a conditional "yes".  In the same guide that Alex referenced, in this section: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/metro/me3400/software/release/12.2_58_se/configuration/guide/swiprout.html#wp1210866, you'll will find PBR options that are "not supported" and/or will be done in software.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Matt,

Please look at the config guide.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/metro/me3400/software/release/12.2_58_se/configuration/guide/swsdm.html

Layer-2—The layer-2 template maximizes system resources for Layer 2 functionality and does not support routing. You should use this template when the switch is being used for Layer-2 forwarding. When you select the layer-2 template on a switch running the metro IP access image, any routing is done through software, which overloads the CPU and severely degrades routing performance.

Default—The default template gives balance to all functions: Layer 2 and Layer 3 (routing). This template is available only on switches running the metro IP access image. If you do not use the default template when routing is enabled on the switch, any routing is done through software, which overloads the CPU and severely degrades routing performance.

Be VERY careful with the selection of the SDM template as you

can seriously degrade your switch CPU operation.

Make sure you know exactly which image you are running.

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

It's a conditional "yes".  In the same guide that Alex referenced, in this section: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/metro/me3400/software/release/12.2_58_se/configuration/guide/swiprout.html#wp1210866, you'll will find PBR options that are "not supported" and/or will be done in software.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card