cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PBR performance on Cat 6509

hmdavies
Level 1
Level 1

Is PBR (Policy Based Routing) supported through CEF in the Cat 6509-E using Sup-2T supervisors, if so is there a theoretical throughput limit with this?

4 Replies 4

Bharat Negi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am sure it will be supported.  Regarding throughput, there no limit to it.  

However, I can share my experience.  We used 7609 with SUP720 (which is none the less a 6509) for a mobile core backbone with number of PBRs as we need to route traffic among multiple VLANs/devices and the performance was amazing.

Regadrs

Bharat

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Is PBR (Policy Based Routing) supported through CEF in the Cat 6509-E using Sup-2T supervisors, if so is there a theoretical throughput limit with this?

Hello ,

Policy based routing is supported by SUP-2T softwares and as per my exp. i have never heard throughput issue by having PBR in cat 6500 series switches.

Assuming you are refering throuput issue with swithc perfomance after configiring PBR.

Have a look on this link PBR SUP2-T

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Rate if it Helpss

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If PBR is programmed into the ASIC hardware, performance limits should be the ASIC limits.

If PBR isn't all programmed into the ASIC hardware, perforamance will be much, much less.

(NB: on some platforms, I recall [?] certain PBR statements are not supported on the ASICs.)

eng.eslamany
Level 1
Level 1

I am using PBR in 6509-E  Sup-2T with full supported

and as a know no theoretical throughput limit with the PBR in the switch

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card