Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping between switches

opnineopnine
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have 2 switches that they are connected directly. both have the same vlan 20 for access.  I created a new vlan 100 this is a mgmt vlan, on both devices and create a SVI. On the interface that connects this 2 devices I added the vlan 100. so I have vlan 20, 100 between them, but when I ping between this 2 devices I dont get any answer.

Thanks in advance. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

Just to clarify -

Both switches example

int vlan 100
ip address 100.100.100.x 255.255.252

vlan 20,100

exit

Int x/x
description PC
siwtchport host
switchport access vlan 20

int xx
description TRUNK to swX
switchport trunk enc dot1q
switchport mode trunk

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Ben Walters
Level 3
Level 3

@opnineopnine wrote:

Hello,

I have 2 switches that they are connected directly. both have the same vlan 20 for access.  I created a new vlan 100 this is a mgmt vlan, on both devices and create a SVI. On the interface that connects this 2 devices I added the vlan 100. so I have vlan 20, 100 between them, but when I ping between this 2 devices I dont get any answer.

Thanks in advance. 

You can check the following.

Both devices have vlan 100 created.

Both have an IP address assigned to their vlan 100 interface

Both devices are set for trunk ports on the interface that connects them and allow vlan 100

If all this is true you should be able to ping one switch from the other on vlan 100. If it is true and you are still unable to ping between them try specifying the source for the ping command.

ping <IP address> source vlan 100

Hello

I was not working , what I did was "switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q"

Thanks !!

Hello

Just to clarify -

Both switches example

int vlan 100
ip address 100.100.100.x 255.255.252

vlan 20,100

exit

Int x/x
description PC
siwtchport host
switchport access vlan 20

int xx
description TRUNK to swX
switchport trunk enc dot1q
switchport mode trunk

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

To help us understand what is going on here please provide the output on both switches to these commands:

show ip interface brief

show interface trunk

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi

Is the VLAN 100 created on both switches? also you can apply shutdown and no shutdown to the SVI 100, In some cases the new SVI are shutdown. 

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card