cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

.PKT: Unable to ping between devices and acquire DHCP IP address

alfredwong1992
Level 1
Level 1

I've been given a packet tracer file and asked to troubleshoot network issues. Users using workstations A, B and C cannot access files stored on the server. I've gone through some steps such as attempting to ping, checking IP addresses and using tracert. I discovered some issues with IP addressing and incorrect WAN interface settings and fixed them. I'm not sure what is continuing to make things unable to ping each other and what makes the PCs unable to acquire a DHCP address from R1. I've posted the packet tracer file and troubleshooting steps I took attached as files below. I also copy and pasted my troubleshooting steps below in the spoiler.

Spoiler

I assume that the network IP addressing scheme is identical to the one in Pro2of3. I am not sure from which PC she is trying to access the files on, which I imagine must be on the ‘Server’. I will first attempt to ping from PCs A B and C to the server to test connectivity and if they fail to attempt a tracert to narrow down where the issue might be happening.

• Testing end to end connectivity

PC-A cannot ping to the server and cannot make a single hop:

PC-B cannot ping to the server and cannot make a single hop:

PC-C cannot ping to the server. Tracert indicates that it can reach R2’s f0/0 interface (10.0.30.1) but not R1’s s0/1/0 interface (10.0.50.1).

Attempting to telnet to the server from any PC results in “Connection timed out; remote host not responding”

This indicates that the issue may exist from lvl 4 Transport layer downwards. We will use a top-down approach to troubleshooting starting from layer 4.

• Checking IP addressing

I will check all IP addresses on interfaces and SVIs to make sure they are correctly addressed and also check that any ports that are meant to be online are online.  

• PC-A and PC-B
  • PC-A is supposed to receive a DHCP ip address but isnt. Ipconfig /renew fails.
  • PC-B is supposed to receive a DHCP ip address but isnt. Ipconfig /renew fails.
  • Attempt to correct DHCP on R1 (see below)
    • S1 and S2
  • S1’s f0/1 and f0/6 are administratively down. Tried to turn them on.
    • Turning f0/6 on works.
    • When I try to make f0/1 go up it doesn’t let me.
  • F0/5 and F0/1 are supposed to be trunks. But only f0/5 has been set as a trunk.
    • Not sure how to set f0/1 as a trunk
  • Vlan10 is supposed to access ?? and vlan 20 is supposed to access f0/6.

• S2’s f0/1 and f0/18 are administratively down. Turned them both on.
    • After I turned S2’s f0/1 on, S1’s f0/1 turned on too.
      • Routers
    • R1’s f0/1.10 interface has the wrong IP address. (changed)
    • R1’s s0/1/1 interface is adminstratively down. (trying to make it up doesn’t work)
    • DHCP hasn’t been set up on R1.

• R2’s interfaces are up, correctly addressed

• R3’s interfaces are up, correctly addressed

• ISP’s s0/1/1 interface is down. Trying to turn it on doesn’t work. There might be an encapsulation error.
    • After setting encapsulation on r1 and isp to PPP, the link went online.
      • DHCP

Configured DHCP on R1 with the following commands:

The working .pkt doesn’t have this ip route part. It also has ripv2 configured.

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : Community group for Packet Tracer project questions

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Martin L
VIP
VIP

You could share your lab with  CLN community PT and CCNA forums at https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/s/topic/0TO6e000000WEorGAG/packet-tracer

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/s/topic/0TO3i0000008jYHGAY/ccna-certification-community

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card