cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

plug carrier handoff into L2 switch...

snickered
Level 1
Level 1

I have a silly question.  I'm planning on taking an SFP handoff from my carrier and plugging it directly into a Catalyst L2 switch.  Now, in the past they have given me circuits with an IP address of 1.1.1.1/30 and had a block of IP addresses "riding" on that circuit.  For instance, they would give me a block like 5.5.5.0/28.  So, normally I'd plug that directly into a router and do NAT to expose my internal webservers and whatnot.  Now I have a scenario where I want to use external addresses for a few servers.  My thinking was to plug the servers into several ports along with the SFP handoff from my carrier and put all those ports in the same VLAN.  But I was thinking no one could access the 5.5.5.0/28 network if I gave the vlan interface the IP address of 1.1.1.1/30.  Is this true?  So, what I wanted to do was just give the VLAN interface an IP address of something inside that network such as 5.5.5.1/28.  But then it seems the IP addresses would be lost because they couldn't get to 1.1.1.1/30.  What can I do in this situation besides add a router to the mix?  TIA.

1 Reply 1

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

You are correct in reference to the L2 switch only having one vlan interface, typically used as a management SVI.  From your post you need something that can provide routing.  You can still use a switch, it will just need to be a L3 switch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card