cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Plugging a switch into an other switch via ethernet

kierangio123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there I have two Cisco Catalysts (2950 series) and I would like to have a main one that connects to the router/modem via ethernet port 3 and then on ethernet port 2 I have an ethernet cable plug into port #1 on the second switch I have connected it and nothing happens could any one please find a video link or tell me how to do this with ease this is only my second day of consoling and owning a managed switch.  

8 Replies 8

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is your setup looks something like this?

Router

|Port 3

Switch 1

|port2

Switch 2

Its not quite clear what you are asking...could you please describe what is exactly needed?

As you have connected another switch to the 2950 what is the port configuration? Is that access/trunk? Can you try configuring trunk port between them?

HTH

Regards

Inayath

Hi there yes 

Router

|Port 3

Switch 1

|port2

Switch 2

this is the setup I want however I dont know how to configure this.

similar to this but not via fibre optic:http://support.usr.com/support/7624/7624-ug/images/tut_trunking_rack.gif.

Connect the port and configuring the trunking between two ports of 2950

int g1/1----> connecting to other 2950.

switchport

switchport mode trunk

end

Which one the one that isnt connected to the router?. I am using puTTY so would I type int f1/1?.

Kierangio,

Can you please let me know what exactly you want to achieve here?

Back to back switch or Switch to router connection?

Basically plug an ethernet cable into a port of switch one into and into switch 2. like this: http://www.alliedtelesis.com.hk/manuals/S107V110WEBa/Images/GS950-8_RSTP_Point-to-Point.png .

Yes you can connect. As I said connect the port and configure it to be a trunk port to avoid the STP else you may have to disable the STP for this port.

I have tried thanks it still doesnt work.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card