cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port-channel 1g and 10 gig in same channel ?

steve switzer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

Can i put a 10 gig fibre link in the same port-channel as a 1 gig fibe link?

I assumed not as etherchannel configuration should be exactly the same

for all the bound links.

But if i try it with an down 1 gig link it seems to bind.

Can someone tell me if this works before i try it

Kind Regards

Steve

7 Replies 7

mcusine
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Steve,

You can use different speed interface in the port channel, not it's a very good solution but you can use. The limit is the number of member normaly 8.

Regards,

Mauricio

It is not true. The configuration guide line clear indicated the speed and duplex of the interfaces in the PO have to be the same.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/channel.html#wp1020420

Configure all LAN ports in an EtherChannel to operate at the same speed and in the same duplex mode.

HTH,

jerry

Jeye is correct all ports in a channel must be the same bandwidth .   For negotiated etherchannel it will probably just reject it and not build the channel anyway.

You can use different speed members in a port channel, but in both sides need

to have the same speed and duplex

cashqoo
Level 1
Level 1

on top of the configuration; from 3750 config guide, the interfaces should be the same.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_44_se/configuration/guide/swethchl.html

Configure a PAgP EtherChannel with up to eight Ethernet ports of the same type.

Configure  a LACP EtherChannel with up to16 Ethernet ports of the same type. Up to  eight ports can be active, and up to eight ports can be in standby  mode.

samarsh
Level 1
Level 1

From what I understand thats correct, you cant have mismatched links in a bundle / etherchannel. Think of it this way, if you send packets using WRR (Round Robin), and one link is 10* faster than the other, then by the time packets in links 1-7 have arrived, link 8 (10GbE) could have 100 packets buffered. I do seem to remember however that if you hard-set the link to 1Gb, that way they are all 1gb links the aggregate should still function.

Which switches are you trying to bundle links from/to?

markwaltersccie
Level 1
Level 1

FYIY, you can add ports of different speeds to a portchannel, but one switch will suspend/shut the new port with an error message: "%EC-5-CANNOT_BUNDLE2: Te1/23 is not compatible with Te2/6 and will be suspended (speed of Te1/23 is 10G, Te2/6 is 1000M)".  We used this tactic to upgrade switch uplinks from 1G to 10G.  We added the 10G ports to the portchannel, the switches suspended them, then we disconnected the 1G, and the 10G ports came up after about 4 seconds.  This all may be platform/version-specific, and other models may behave differently.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card