cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port-channel L3 between Cat9300 L3 and Cisco Firewall ASA 5506

Hannibal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Community, the best of the internet !!

I would like to check with the community if you have had the experience of configuring a Port-channel level 3 between a Catalyst 9300 Switch and an ASA 5506 Firewall, and at the same time sharing OSPF routing information through that Port-channel.

Is it possible to establish a point-to-point OSPF link between the catalyst 9300 switch and the ASA Firewall through a port-channel? I don't see the command "ip ospf network point-to-point" in the configuration menu within the port-channel of the ASA firewall.

I have enabled OSPF on both devices because I want to advertise, through the port-channel, two subnets that are behind the ASA firewall (directly connected), and at the same time to pass traffic from a third network that is not directly connected to the ASA, which means that the ASA will serve as the transit of this third network in such a way that this network can communicate with the networks connected to the Catayst 9300.

The Port-channel config as follow:

(Catalyst 9300)

interface Port-channel1
description LINK TO ASA_Transit
no switchport
dampening
ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.252
no ip redirects
no ip unreachables
no ip proxy-arp
ip pim sparse-mode
ip ospf network point-to-point
ip ospf hello-interval 5
ip ospf 10 area 10
logging event link-status
carrier-delay msec 0

(ASA5506):

interface Port-channel1

nameif inside

security-level 0

ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.255

As you can see, there are very few port-channel commands to configure on the ASA firewall.

I would be very grateful if someone shares their experience or knows how to detect the problem that exists in the configuration, or simply that I have not had any command configured, etc.

I have many doubts with this configuration and especially with the command "ip ospf network point-to-point" on the Catalyst side.

Thank you in advance and hoping that this community has gone through this experience ...

Regards

Hann

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Deepak

Thank you, yesterday we installed and the port-channel start working fine. I will vote and accept your solution.

Now we have to fight to try to make that the users behind one of the firewall interfaces can obtain their configuration from a remote DHCP, located three router hops from other of the firewall interfaces. So far we're losing the battle ..

Thank you again ...

Hann

View solution in original post

Thank georg

You´re right

Regards

Hann

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

What is a version of Cisco ASA? As I know Cisco ASA commands are a little different from Cisco Switch or router as "ospf network point-to-point " might work for you. 

Here is a document for you 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa98/configuration/general/asa-98-general-config/route-ospf.html 

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Hi Deepak

Thank you for your answer.

The ASA Version is 9.8(2)20

Thank you in advance

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Try with the above command and it might work for you.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Hi Deepak

Thank you, yesterday we installed and the port-channel start working fine. I will vote and accept your solution.

Now we have to fight to try to make that the users behind one of the firewall interfaces can obtain their configuration from a remote DHCP, located three router hops from other of the firewall interfaces. So far we're losing the battle ..

Thank you again ...

Hann

Hello,

as far as I recall, port channel subinterfaces offer more options:

interface Port-channel1.10

nameif inside

security-level 0

ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.255

--> ip ospf neytwork

Thank georg

You´re right

Regards