cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port-Channel on Servers

Jonathancert_2
Level 1
Level 1

I was asked to set up a port channel from my 4900M to a couple of NETAPP servers, can this be done.  There are two gig ports on each servers. Port channels between switches is easy but can it be done to end items.  I tried but I counldn't get my Port-Channels to come up?  Maybe it's my configs?  If it's just a question of failover, I have the two 4900M stacked and perfer to use HSRP.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If the server doesn't need access to more than a single vlan then no you would not need to trunk anything , just put the ports into the vlan you the server in for the port channel.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes it can be done if the server nics support it  , you would set it up for either

an LACP etherchannel or a port channel that is forced on for  both the switch and the nic depending on what the server will support , do it all the time.

I was told the servers were set up for LACP, but i keep getting a "LACP currently not enabled on the remote port" message.  I assumed it was on the server end but there was no server techs available.   Was i on the right path for my configs?

Port-channel 10

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 200

interface gigabit 1/2

switchport mode trunk

channel-protocol lacp

channel-group 10 mode active

interface gigabit 1/3

switchport mode trunk

channel-protocol lacp

channel-group 10 mode active

Yes that looks correct if the server is "supposedly" setup for lacp .   Thats what we use .   You are also trunking it too I see so verify things like the native vlan matches on both the switch and nics .

Thanks.  I didn't consider a vlan setting on the NICs.  Do i need to trunk?  Am i making this harder than it needs to be?  Should I just make my gig ports access ports?  My goal is just to keep things at layer 2 for these customers.  Already have HSRP, layer 3 and OSPF point-to-point routing running on the switch for other customers.

If the server doesn't need access to more than a single vlan then no you would not need to trunk anything , just put the ports into the vlan you the server in for the port channel.

Thanks for the help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card