Views
Helpful
Replies

Port-Channel - Trunk - Spanning-Tree - Server 802.1q

pr0t
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I'm trying to find more information on how to combine spanning-tree and port-channel (which is also a trunk port).

The connection is between a server (2x10G NICs) with NIC Teaming configured for a few particular VLANs. Then we have the switch with two ports (10G) bundled into a port-channel, LACP, configured as trunk. According to what I've found so far, spanning-tree portfast doesn't work against trunk port - so should it be spanning-tree portfast trunk in this case?

If it was a simple port-channel connected to a single VLAN - should I use spanning-tree portfast (only)? 

Regards.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi gkin2010,

Thank you, for such a quick response. So I should go with spanning-tree portfast trunk - sounds good.

There's one more thing that's bothering me regarding this configuration:

1. When I configure spanning-tree for my port-channel - will the configuration go further down and be applied to each individual (physical) port?

2. Or maybe I should manually configure spanning-tree for physical port,1 then 2 and then do the same with my port-channel?

Regards

View solution in original post

Hi,

Apply to port-channel interface is fine. But according to my experience, some commands (like spanning-tree cost) will not apply to LACP members automatically. 

So, you could use keyword range to apply the command to logical interface + physical interface at a time.

interface range Po1,Gi1/0/1,Gi2/0/1
  spanning-tree portfast trunk

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

ngkin2010
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

spanning-tree portfast trunk should be used on trunk link regardless the number allowed VLAN.

If the switchport is a access port (e.g. configured with switchport mode access), then you should use spanning-tree portfast.

Hi gkin2010,

Thank you, for such a quick response. So I should go with spanning-tree portfast trunk - sounds good.

There's one more thing that's bothering me regarding this configuration:

1. When I configure spanning-tree for my port-channel - will the configuration go further down and be applied to each individual (physical) port?

2. Or maybe I should manually configure spanning-tree for physical port,1 then 2 and then do the same with my port-channel?

Regards

Hi,

Apply to port-channel interface is fine. But according to my experience, some commands (like spanning-tree cost) will not apply to LACP members automatically. 

So, you could use keyword range to apply the command to logical interface + physical interface at a time.

interface range Po1,Gi1/0/1,Gi2/0/1
  spanning-tree portfast trunk

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card