Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port-channel VPC with different bandwidth

I was working with two L2 WAN links, one with a speed of 1G and the other with 10G. These links are connected to my L2 switch using a trunk interface. Is it possible for me to configure these links as a bundle using a port-channel LACP? Since they operate on different speed.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No

It mandatory to use same BW link in PO.

MHM

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Negative , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

No

It mandatory to use same BW link in PO.

MHM

User24571
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have similar case but:

I have two N9k in vPC and I have connected three 100G links

- two links to N9K-A (port-channel 2x100G)

- one link to  N9K-B (port-channel 1x100G)

and all connected in vPC.

My question is: Will the traffic be distributed equally? When I have all the links on one device the traffic is distributed 33% to each.

From the N9k side, it depends on which traffic the switch starts from.  Remember, unless egress traffic does NOT have a local device direct download port, traffic does not transit "sideways" (between peers).

From the other downstream (single?) device, normal Etherchannel distribution rules apply (BTW, they also apply to multiple Etherchannel ports on same N9k).

User24571
Level 1
Level 1

Please take a look at the diagram below:

2024-09-20 09_58_02-_nowy 29 - Notepad++.png

The traffic is mainly outbound. (From “inside” to “outside”). 

So I mean, I understand that if this single 100G is saturated then the traffic will not overflow to the peer-link but continue towards the 100G link?

"So I mean, I understand that if this single 100G is saturated then the traffic will not overflow to the peer-link but continue towards the 100G link?"

I believe that's correct.

Only if there was no direct egress path, on device, would traffic flow "sideways".

iemmaolivia2
Level 1
Level 1

LACP allows for bundling links with different speeds, but traffic will be distributed unevenly across the links based on their bandwidth. In your case, the 10G link will handle more traffic compared to the 1G link.

"LACP allows for bundling links with different speeds . . ."

On Cisco?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card