cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port channeling a node between two 2248's

junior.beatty
Level 1
Level 1

I have one Nexus 7009 with a pair of 2248's attached via port channels.  I have several devices, a Cisco wireless lan controller, ESX servers, etc which I have multihomed to my current 6500's.  I want to create port channels for these devices across the pair of 2248's.  Currently have been working with the config for the WLC.  I can create the port channel on the N7k with no problem as a trunk, and I am able to configure the first port to use the port channel, but when I add the second port I receive the following message:

command failed: port not compatible [Members in multiple FEX]

Thus I am unable to add the second interface.  I assume I will run into the same problem with the ESX's as they have six 1 Gb interfaces in a port channel.  I am new to the Nexus world and this is my first Nexus switch being moved into production.  I have seen several post that are similiar but not really an answer.  Does anybody have any idea as to what I am doing wrong.  Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

If I understand what you're trying to do correctly, then you're not doing anything wrong, but the topology you're trying to use is unsupported.

If you refer to the diagrams shown in Nexus 7000 Fex Supported/Not Supported Topologies then I believe you're trying to configure the topology shown on the last of the three pictures, labeled number 11. I don't know the exact details as to why this isn't a supported topology, but sadly it isn't.

As you only have a single Nexus 7000, the only option you would seem to have at this stage is to use an active/standby topology as shown in the first and second picture on the diagram labeled number five.

Regards

Yes Steve, that looks to be exactly what I have.  Doesn't make a lot of sense that configuration is not supported.  Since the fex's are comparable to line cards.  I will probably end up opening a TAC case to see what they have to say.  Probably exactly what you have already said.  I am going to keep looking as this is a configuration that should be supported.  Thanks for the info.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card