Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Mirror (SPAN) in Packet Tracer

roadstone
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I've got a little test network configured in Packet Tracer. I'm trying to enabled monitoring on a 3650 switch interface, but keep getting an error when defining port source or destination interfaces (although it does accept a VLAN interface as a source). Whilst it may be the command I'm entering, I am a little lost as to why it fails.

core-01(config)#monitor session 1 source interface GigabitEthernet 1/0/1 both

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

(NOTE: The ^ sits under the /0/)

If I step through the command using ? when I get to the interface, it does suggest it wants a format of slot/port. But any other combination seems to fail with a range error. I've seen a couple posts where people have mentioned monitor was not fully functional in Packet Tracer, but guessing it could just be an error with my input. Any help appreciated?

Thanks,

Rob

7 Replies 7

Abheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
which version of packet tracer you are using. Command is working in version 7.1.0.

HTH
Abheesh

Hi Abheesh,

I'm currently running v. 7.2.0.0226.

Thanks,

Hello,

where do you get GigabitEthernet1/0/1 ? The 3650 in PT only has GigabitEthernet0/0 and 0/1. It is not a modular switch. So the below should work:

Switch(config)#monitor session 1 source interface gigabitEthernet 0/1

Hi Georg,

I tried that and I received the "interface range not validated - command rejected". 

A "show ver" reports the switch as a WS-C3650-24PS with interfaces as follows in the sh run...

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/2

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/3

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/4

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/5

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/6

etc.

Thanks,

Try on version 7.1, may be issue with the software version

HTH
Abheesh

Hi Abheesh,

Thanks for the tip. I installed 7.1 and was still unable to get it configured on the 3650. That being said, for my testing purposes I've switched the 3650 out with a 3560, and am able to configuring span as required. All working!

Many thanks,

Rob

It may be the packet tracer issue that not supports in 3650.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card