Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port mirroring in L2 and L3 switches

Not applicable

I need to configure port mirroring in both L2 and L3 switches. Purpose of mirroring is to monitor the utilization of existing check point Firewall which is connected in both switches through new Firewall. Below are the existing and proposed connectivity(for monitoring) details for your reference.

L3 switch is core switch and existing Firewall LAN interface connected with this switch port no.2

L2 switch is connected to existing Firewall DMZ port.

Now we are putting one new check point to monitor the above existing Firewall DMZ and LAN ports through port mirroring.

Please let me know how to configure and share me the command to configure the same.

3 Replies 3

Hi vijayarampm,

Note:- The limitation of port mirrioring is that you can send only mirroing traffic to destination port if you are remotely accessing the PC/Server then you will lost your session to that machine. Following is the link with configuration example and design to configure port mirroring/SPAN. Let me know if you know any thing else.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/13891/how-configure-port-monitoring-span-catalyst-2940-2950-2955-2970-3550-or-3750-series

Please rate if this is helpful..

Spooster IT Services Team

Thanks for providing clarifications. However I am not able to understand fully. Let me explain you the current architecture and proposed testing of production Firewall utilization.

Current scenario: We have a Firewall in production. There is a connectivity from Core Switch model 3750G port no. 2 to Firewall LAN zone port. Also we have another connectivity to DMZ port in Firewall from Cisco switch 2950 port no.2. Management port from Firewall connected to Management serve. Now customer wants to replace the new Firewall. For that Firewall vendor required to observe the live traffic utilization of LAN and DMZ ports in production Firewall.

Proposed scenario: Now one new Firewall will be connected to same Management server. Also additionally cables will be connected from new Firewall to core switch 3750G free port no.10 and DMZ switch free port no. 10. Based on this connectivity we need to configure the port mirroring in both Core and DMZ switches to observe the production Firewall utilization. Firewall vendor will be monitor this live traffics utilization from public by configuring the NAT of new firewall management IP in Production Firewall.

Hope you understand now clearly and let me know how to configure the port mirroring in both Cisco 3750G and 2950 switches.

Hi vijayarampm,

Sure. Can you please let me know the following:-

1) Source port/ports (the ports which you want to monitor the traffic)

2) Destintion port/ports (the port where you want to send the mirroring traffic)?

Spooster IT Services Team
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card