Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port monitoring.

I have a catalyst 2960. Is it possible for me to configure it's port to monitor each other. Like for example, fa0/1 monitoring fa0/2 and then fa0/3 monitoring fa0/4? If not, which kind of switch is capable of doing so?

5 Replies 5

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

a monitor port( the one receiving the monitored traffic) can't take part in data forwarding so if this was possible you wouldn't have many things to monitor.

if you want to monitor all ports in a vlan then juste use the vlan keyworrd in monitor x source command.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

With "monitor" you are talking about SPAN-ports? Then it is possible the way you want it. The 2960 can use two source-sessions which were fa0/2 and fa0/4 in your case. The destionation-ports are then fa 0/1 and fa0/3:

Sw(config)# monitor session 1 source interface fa0/2

Sw(config)# monitor session 1 destination interface fa0/1

Sw(config)# monitor session 2 source interface fa0/4

Sw(config)# monitor session 2 destination interface fa0/3

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

Hi,

reading your answer , I definitely misunderstood the original question as it seems.

Regards.

Alain

After reading *your* answer, I asked myself if *I* really understood the question ...

Bon, can you clearify what you are exactly talking about?

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

I meant that I had answered stupidly and that my answer was really irrelevant to the point.

But yours is the good one definitely.

Regards.

Alain

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco