Views
Helpful
Replies

Port security with devices connecting to multiple ports

win2kseries1
Level 1
Level 1

Experts,

With port security enable, how can we allow a device to move around and connect to different ports on the same switch without locking up the port? We have devices that need to be able to move around. As we know with port security, once MAC is registered to one port already, it will not be able to connect to another port (on the same switch). Is there a work around for this?

Thanks!

HsT

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- If you need these Network Access Requirements , you need NAC access control (too) , and look into solution such as authenticating devices with and or using Cisco ISE (policies) - e.g/etc.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

one workaround 
config the MAC dynamic port-secuirty learning 

decrease the aging of mac of port-secuirty mac time to be 5 min 
this make mac remove from port and you can connect PC to other port and in same you dont disable port-security 
test this in one port then if success apply to all.

Hello
Can you confirm what port security you have running please?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello
Increase the max number of secure mac addresses on the port

int ran x/x-x
switchport port-security maximum x

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Jitendra Kumar
Spotlight
Spotlight

the best way to switchport port-security maximum x.

Thanks,
Jitendra
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card