cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port-to-Port Latencies

rylegoodrich
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know what the average port-to-port latency is for the Cisco C3560X series switches (for layer 3 routing, preferably).

We have a Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560X-24T-S and are seeing about 25 microsecond latency under not much load and are wondering if this is atypical.

Also, if anyone has any tips for speeding this up, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Speeding up from 25 uS (Twenty-five millionth of a Second) on an ethernet switch?

And what benefit that wold give your exactly ?

We are very latency sensitive (but don't need high throughput). This is currently our bottleneck.

25 uS is not very far away from 10, that is the boundary for ultra-low latency.

If that is not enough for you, then use a different switching platform.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9670/white_paper_c11-465436.html

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

As far as I can remember that sounds pretty much like the information that I got from Cisco when I asked.

so i would think that is quite typical

but I think that was for switching. I would guess that it would add some time to route also.

however I do not know if there is a time difference in routing on the physical port itself or on the vlan in the switch.

if it is fast routing you need, then I would take a look at the specs for the nexus 7000.

I have no figures for itt but thats where i would start.

if however you are able to do switching, then i would look into the 4900 or the nexus 5000.

they are quite a bit faster.

Another tip to save some nano seconds.

cables in the right lengths. and right model.

check signalspeed in copper and different types of fiber, the results might surprise you.

if you are just trying to send information from one server in the same rack to another, check out infiniband.

there are some amazing speeds set there.

as a general hint and without knowing your setup or purpose its my view that the network normally is not the bottleneck,

sure I understand its a race towards zero, so every nano second counts,

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card