cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Possible to have more than two 5500 switches peered in a vPC?

clayhawks
Level 1
Level 1

We have successfully peered two 5548UP switches together and separately we have successfully peered two 5596UP switches together. Works great and is our standard going forward for data center switching. I've been casting about Google and Cisco looking for an answer to this question:

Is it possible to have more than two 5500 class Nexus switches participate in a peered vPC configuration? For instance, can I connect a single FEX to four 5500 class switches in a vPC configuration? The question is more academic than actionable. Even if the answer is yes we probably wouldn't be in a position to implement something like this for a while.

Thanks for any input!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mikegrous
Level 3
Level 3

I am pretty sure you cannot do that. VPC is strickly between 2 switches.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mikegrous
Level 3
Level 3

I am pretty sure you cannot do that. VPC is strickly between 2 switches.

Thanks. I thought as much and couldn't find any documentation to the contrary, but this forum is extremely useful at finding answers that are not found elsewhere. If I had the luxury of having more than two unused 5500 class switches to play with I would have tried it on my own.

Thanks!

Yes, the max is 2

From the vPC design guide:

vPCs consist of two vPC peer switches connected by a peer link. Of the vPC peers, one is primary and one is

secondary. The system formed by the switches is referred to as a vPC domain.

Here is the vPC desgn guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9670/design_guide_c07-625857.pdf

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card