Views
Helpful
Replies

power controller upgrade on Nexus N5K-C5548UP

varlotbolt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

How can we check if we need to upgrade the power controller on N5K-C5548UP ?

Now it runs nx-os 6.0(2)N2(3) and according to the table I can upgrade it to 7.0(7)N1(1) without interrupting the service - Nondisruptive upgrade (ISSU)

The reason i am asking is that Nexus 5596 had bug CSCun66310 - System fails to boot after a power cycle and an upgrade of power controller from version 1.0 to 1.1 was needed.

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCun66310/?referring_site=bugquickviewredir

Thanks.

12 Replies 12

Iulian Vaideanu
Level 4
Level 4

I've never worked with N5K but on a 3064 I can do, for example, "show install all impact kickstart n3000-uk9-kickstart.6.0.2.U6.8.bin system n3000-uk9.6.0.2.U6.8.bin" and after some processing I get the result below - is that available on your Nexus?  Also, I'm reading in the description of that bug that "Nexus 5548s are NOT affected"...

Images will be upgraded according to following table:
Module             Image         Running-Version             New-Version  Upg-Required
------  ----------------  ----------------------  ----------------------  ------------
     1            system             6.0(2)U3(4)             6.0(2)U6(8)           yes
     1         kickstart             6.0(2)U3(4)             6.0(2)U6(8)           yes
     1              bios      v2.6.0(12/05/2013)      v2.6.0(12/05/2013)            no
     1         power-seq                    v4.1                    v4.1            no

Thank you Iulian, in order for this command to work, do i need to have the new nx-os 7.0(7)N1(1) already transferred to the system ?

Regards.

It needs to read those file to see what's changed - apparently it can take them from pretty much anywhere, but it will transfer them anyway so you might as well upload them...

sw0# show install all impact kickstart ?
  bootflash:  Enter image uri
  ftp:        Enter image uri
  modflash:   Enter image uri
  scp:        Enter image uri
  sftp:       Enter image uri
  tftp:       Enter image uri
  usb1:       Enter image uri
  volatile:   Enter image uri

Thank you very much,i am going to transferr them tomorrow morning and check.

For the moment my concern is if this can bring any issue:

member A
Power Sequencer Firmware:
             Module 1: version v1.0
             Module 2: version v1.0
member B
 Power Sequencer Firmware:
             Module 1: version v1.0
             Module 2: version v1.0
             Module 3: version v5.0

i mean, i got power sequencer firmware 1.0 and the second member has power sequence module 3 version 5

I don't think so - a lot of examples in Nexus 5000/5500 software upgrade / downgrade guides show different power-seq firmware versions for different modules, and the only special mention is that, if a power-seq update is performed, the device needs to be power-cycled.

jspinella
Level 1
Level 1

@varlotbolt wrote:

Hi all,

How can we check if we need to upgrade the power controller on N5K-C5548UP ?

Now it runs nx-os 6.0(2)N2(3) and according to the table I can upgrade it to 7.0(7)N1(1) without interrupting the service - Nondisruptive upgrade (ISSU)

The reason i am asking is that Nexus 5596 had bug CSCun66310 - System fails to boot after a power cycle and an upgrade of power controller from version 1.0 to 1.1 was needed.

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCun66310/?referring_site=bugquickviewredir

Thanks.

Probably too late but:

show sprom sup | inc H/W

That will show you hardware versions.

I just had a 5596 fail after code upgrade and just found this and after checking some of my other 5596's, they are all on 1.0.

May you share what to fix this? Load different IOS?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/field-notices/640/fn64094.html

More information can be found there.  There's a .bin file and .tar file that need to be loaded onto the device that will patch the problem and upgrade the power controller to version 1.1 if you're running 1.0.  If you already have 1.1 you're fine.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/field-notices/640/fn64094.html

There's more information here.  Basically if you are running version 1.0 of the power controller you will need to get the .bin and .tar file for version 1.1 and load it to your device and that will fix the problem.

I have the same problem. Where can we find those .bin and .tar files?

Thanks

Contact Cisco TAC. They will provide you with the file and steps required for upgrading the power controller.

Regards,

Sergiu

I guess they will, if you have active technical support, which I don't, since it's was bought from a refurbisher a while back.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card