Views
Helpful
Replies

Prepare and Configure Stack-Power

jpl861
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Experts,

I am trying to configure stack-power on a Cisco 3750X. I'm having a hard time understanding how this thing works. I currently have two 3750X switches that are in stack. We want to utilize stack-power however, we do not have the stack-power cables yet. After configuring some commands, I discovered that the switch stack requires reboot. Since we are not yet to add additional switches yet, I want to prepare the switch stack to have 3 power-stack instead. Here's what I did. Switch 1 and 2 are already in stack and provisioned switches 3 to 9. Is this even going to work or is this the correct way to do it?

switch 1 provision ws-c3750x-48

switch 2 provision ws-c3750x-48

switch 3 provision ws-c3750x-48

switch 4 provision ws-c3750x-48

switch 5 provision ws-c3750x-48

switch 6 provision ws-c3750x-48

switch 7 provision ws-c3750x-48

switch 8 provision ws-c3750x-48

switch 9 provision ws-c3750x-48

!

system mtu routing 1500

authentication mac-move permit

ip subnet-zero

!

!

no ip domain-lookup

stack-power stack power1

stack-power stack power2

stack-power stack power3

!

stack-power switch 1

stack power1

stack-power switch 2

stack power1

stack-power switch 3

stack power1

stack-power switch 4

stack power2

stack-power switch 5

stack power2

stack-power switch 6

stack power2

stack-power switch 7

stack power3

stack-power switch 8

stack power3

stack-power switch 9

stack power3

!

The switches will be put in production before the stack-power cables arrive that's why I wanted to configure stack-power already since it will require a reboot.

Thanks,

John

2 Replies 2

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi John,

If you want to split the power load to be split between Stack switches you need to configure modes also like redundant from best practices.

However below is the good link, you can reffer for Power Stack.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12.2_53_se/configuration/guide/swstkpwr.html

If this answered your question please click on correct answer.
Regards,
Nadiu.

Thanks for your reply. However I'm not looking for the redundant options as I would like to go for the power-sharing option first. I would like to know if the provisioning of switches way ahead is a valid configuration. I tried to configure the switch 1 and 2 to be in power1 stack but after the reboot, I issued show power-stack and it stayed at Powerstack-1 group.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card