cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

private vlan confusion

michael.mcmahon
Level 1
Level 1

It say that an isolated vlan can not communicate with another device on a port with the same isolated vlan so is it just point to point makes it a private vlan.

computer to switch then what is the purpose since it can not communicate on the same vlan I believe is it a typo error.

For I my pass knowledge of vlans is so the computer and equipment can communicate on the same vlans and that private isolated vlans are not routed I guess they don't use dot1q

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have a look at this document for complete explanation.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/s/article/a-quick-summarized-view-to-private-vlan-pvlan-x

HTH

so from the articles that other have sent me it is a typo for they were saying what I already knew and figured it was a error in the Cisco book I was reading to make private vlan

You have company, and in company there are engineer and sales and financial departments. 
now if you have one VLAN how you can prevent engineer and sales  access financial department pc ? 
for this case the private vlan design. 

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Another use case is a service provider connecting lots of customers. If each customer should have there own ip range and vlan, it would be a nightmare to separate all this. Instead  they  use one vlan and one ip range per site/location, all customers got an ip in the same range, but all ports are configured with private vlan. This results in each customer/appartment can reach internet, but can not reach it's neighbor. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card