cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem creating a port-channel with 40G and 4x10G modules.

Pedro Valor
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm trying to configure a port-channel between two 6807xl chassis, I have got  a 40G module and 4x10G in each of them, I would like creating a port-channel between the two devices using that five ports (40+4x10=80G), I create the port-channel but when I try to configure the ports to join the PoCh I get an error. If I configure until 8x10G there is no problem, but if I configure first the 40G port and then the rest of the ports, I only can join 3 more of them and I get the next error:

Router(config)#int fo1/1

Router(config-if)#channel-group 250 mode on

Command rejected (Port-channel250, Fo1/1): Channel group limit reached

I guest there is a limitation using 40G and 10G ports, could someone confirm that???

Thank you very much in advance.

Pedro Valor.

6 Replies 6

Charles Hill
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hey Pedro,

40 Gigabit Ethernet Mode

A maximum of four 40 Gigabit Ethernet links, whether on one module or spread across multiple modules, is allowed in a single EtherChannel.

This does not affect other modules or EtherChannels in the system.

This is due to the fact that we need to use some resources for the egress load-balancing between Replication ASICs.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/white_paper_c11-696669.html

Hope this helps,

Please rate helpful posts.

Thanks.

Hi Charles,

thank you for your answer.

It's something that I don't understand, is it possible create one single port-channel using 1x40G module and 4x10G in each chassis?? I attached a image.

Can I combine 40G and 10G together in a single etherchannel??

Thank you very much.

Hi Pedro,

I haven't located any documentation stating if it's possible or not.  Hopefully someone will chime in that can answer your question.

If I do find the info, I'll post it.

Hi Pedro,

The basic prerequisite to form the Etherchannel is "All interfaces in each EtherChannel must be the same speed" . As far as i know , you can't mix different link speeds to create a portchannel.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/etherchannel/12025-49.html#topic3

Catalyst 6500/6000 Series Switches That Run Cisco IOS Software

Refer to the support pages for the Catalyst 6500 Series Switches and Catalyst 6000 Series Switches for more information on these switches.

Catalyst 6500/6000 series switches that run Cisco IOS Software support both Layer 2 and Layer 3 EtherChannel. Up to eight compatibly configured Ethernet interfaces can exist on any module. All interfaces in each EtherChannel must be the same speed. All interfaces in each EtherChannel must have a configuration as either Layer 2 or Layer 3 interfaces."

Hi,

thanks to all for your answers and support, it has been so useful for me.

If you let me, I've got another question. Now, I discard to use a 40G module, instead of that I'm going to use a 4x10G module (CVR-CFP-4SFP10G), but when I insert the card into the module the chassis does not detect it, and it does not show any logg message. I attached photo with the light status, the light in each slot is flashing intermittently.

Could someone say me why the chassis does not recognise the card inserted in the module??

The module is OK:

Router#sh module
Mod Ports Card Type                              Model              Serial No.
--- ----- -------------------------------------- ------------------ -----------
  1   20  DCEF2T 4 port 40GE / 16 port 10GE      WS-X6904-40G       SAL18495HPH
  3    5  Supervisor Engine 2T 10GE w/ CTS (Acti VS-SUP2T-10G       SAL1913CCR4
  4    5  Supervisor Engine 2T 10GE w/ CTS (Hot) VS-SUP2T-10G       SAL1914CPKV
  5   40  DCEF2T 8 port 40GE / 32 port 10GE      C6800-32P10G       SAL1910ATD8
  6   40  DCEF2T 8 port 40GE / 32 port 10GE      C6800-32P10G       SAL1910APVN

Mod  Online Diag Status
---- -------------------
  1  Pass
  3  Pass
  4  Pass
  5  Pass
  6  Pass

But in the solt 1 the chassis only detects the 40G interfaces:

Router#sh ip int brief
Interface              IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol
Fo1/1                  unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down
Fo1/2                  unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down
Fo1/3                  unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down
Fo1/4                  unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down

GigabitEthernet3/1     unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down
GigabitEthernet3/2     unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down
GigabitEthernet3/3     unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down

It should recognise four 10G interface in slot 1.

Could someone help me with that??

Thank you so much.

Hello,

the problem is solved. The question was that the module works by default in FortyGb mode, if you want to use the 4x10G card you have to change the operational mode:

I copy and example:

10 Gigabit Ethernet Port Operational Mode

The 10 Gigabit Ethernet mode of operation can be enabled using a configuration command that affects portgroups rather than individual ports. For example, portgroup 1 can be configured in 10 Gigabit Ethernet mode using the command hw-module slot # operation-mode port-group 1 TenGigabitEthernet. This will result in all ports on the left-half side of the front panel getting configured for 10 Gigabit Ethernet port operational mode.

6513E.S2T.SA.DUT2(config)#hw-module slot 3 operation-mode port-group 1?
TenGigabitEthernet Set the TenGigabitEthernet operation mode
6513E.S2T.SA.DUT2(config)#hw-module slot 3 operation-mode port-group 1 TengigabitEthernet
Operation mode change will reset the whole module and all the ports config will be lost. Do you want to continue with reset?
Powercycling module 3 due to operational mode change
6513E.S2T.SA.DUT2(config)#

Anyway, thanks to all for your support.

BR.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: