cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem creating a port-channel with 40G and 4x10G modules.

Pedro Valor
Beginner
Beginner

Hello,

I'm trying to configure a port-channel between two 6807xl chassis, I have got  a 40G module and 4x10G in each of them, I would like creating a port-channel between the two devices using that five ports (40+4x10=80G), I create the port-channel but when I try to configure the ports to join the PoCh I get an error. If I configure until 8x10G there is no problem, but if I configure first the 40G port and then the rest of the ports, I only can join 3 more of them and I get the next error:

Router(config)#int fo1/1

Router(config-if)#channel-group 250 mode on

Command rejected (Port-channel250, Fo1/1): Channel group limit reached

I guest there is a limitation using 40G and 10G ports, could someone confirm that???

Thank you very much in advance.

Pedro Valor.

6 Replies 6

Charles Hill
Rising star
Rising star

Hey Pedro,

40 Gigabit Ethernet Mode

A maximum of four 40 Gigabit Ethernet links, whether on one module or spread across multiple modules, is allowed in a single EtherChannel.

This does not affect other modules or EtherChannels in the system.

This is due to the fact that we need to use some resources for the egress load-balancing between Replication ASICs.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/white_paper_c11-696669.html

Hope this helps,

Please rate helpful posts.

Thanks.

Hi Charles,

thank you for your answer.

It's something that I don't understand, is it possible create one single port-channel using 1x40G module and 4x10G in each chassis?? I attached a image.

Can I combine 40G and 10G together in a single etherchannel??

Thank you very much.