cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem Linking Single Mode Fiber with Provider

bret
Level 3
Level 3

I have a new single mode fiber connection from our provider, that will link a remote site as a point to point. The near side is a 6506 with a 1000BaseLH and the far side is a 2911 with GLC-LH-SM. Before sending out my router I plugged a single mode fiber from the 2911 to the 6506 and got a link up/up. So I confirmed ahead of time the interfaces worked.

On the TTU date I used the same single mode fiber, plugging into the 6506 to the demarc, but when I plug the fiber into the demarc I get no link light. I tried reversing the pairs and still no link. The far side with the 2911 gets a link. On the near side I had Verizon come out and test and everything looks good. There were thoughts the light may be coming in to hot, so we put an attenuator on, but still no luck.

Has anyone brought a single mode fiber connection into their equipment from a provider and had issues? Is there a configuration setting that needs applied to my interface? The provider was asking me to hard set duplex/speed but this is not configurable on a GIG link.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nickbonifacio
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Bret,

You could also try "speed nonegotiate" under the port.

Nick Bonifacio CCIE #38473

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Bret,

when connecting a C6500 giga interface to other vendor devices I had some times to use

int gi x/y

switchport nonegotiate

to make the link to come up.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

nickbonifacio
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Bret,

You could also try "speed nonegotiate" under the port.

Nick Bonifacio CCIE #38473
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card