Helpful
Replies

Problem SSO RPR when upgrade 4510R+E with Sup8

Cedric LANDRU
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I want to upgrade one of my 4510R+E in 03.06.05.E to 03.08.06.E

Before to do this, redundancy mode is SSO and I want to keep it.

IOS 03.08.06.E is in bootflash and copied in slavebootflash. The boot setting to this IOS is ok on bootvar.

Then, I reloaded the standy module (redundancy reload peer) and it loaded correctly in 03.08.06.E but the redundancy mode is now in RPR because :

c4k_redundancy-2-ios_version_check_fail ios version mismatch

We can fix this with :

redundancy config-sync ignore mismatched-commands

But it doesn't works, I have this error message :

%Error informing ISSU system the mismatched commands have been ignored

Actually, I have the standy cold module in 03.08.06.E and the active module in 03.06.05.E

I want to finish my upgrade without impact on my production but if I restart the active module with 

redundancy force-switchover

I'll lose connections during 20secondes.

I tried to force SSO mode but it didn't work

redundancy
mode sso

Is there an alternate solution to force the SSO mode before reload the active module ?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

andresfr
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello k4li,

The RPR mode on the standby is expected because of the version mismatch and not due to a mismatched command list.

If you reload the active, the standby should become the new active unit and reach the SSO state. If downstream switches are dual-homed , this should not be an issue, but as you said there will be some downtime because of the former standby having to pass from RPR to SSO.

The other option will be to rollback the changes in the standby to boot it with 3.6.5E just to go back to the original scenario and try ISSU. Since 3.6.5E is not compatible with 3.8.6E, you will need to go to 3.8.5E first, and then from 3.8.5E to 3.8.6E.

I hope you find this information useful.

Regards,

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

andresfr
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello k4li,

The RPR mode on the standby is expected because of the version mismatch and not due to a mismatched command list.

If you reload the active, the standby should become the new active unit and reach the SSO state. If downstream switches are dual-homed , this should not be an issue, but as you said there will be some downtime because of the former standby having to pass from RPR to SSO.

The other option will be to rollback the changes in the standby to boot it with 3.6.5E just to go back to the original scenario and try ISSU. Since 3.6.5E is not compatible with 3.8.6E, you will need to go to 3.8.5E first, and then from 3.8.5E to 3.8.6E.

I hope you find this information useful.

Regards,

Hello,

thank your for your support, it works now :)

So, I downgraded the standby to 03.08.05 : SSO is now avalaible

Actually I'm upgrading the active to 03.08.05 with no downtime.

The next is to upgrade both module to 03.08.06

You were very helpfull for me, thank you :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card