Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with Cisco 2511 Terminal Server

arifdatau
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyones,

I want you to take a look and probably someone know what is seems to be the problem with this router series 2511. As soon as I turn the cisco up I've get this message and it just stop it didn't do anything else at all.

System Bootstrap, Version 5.2(8a), RELEASE SOFTWARE

Copyright (c) 1986-1995 by cisco Systems

Bad I/O memory - wrote 0x04000004, read 0x04040004 at location 0x04000000

That's right at  first I thought it was just the memory because it has one slot of 16DRAM and two slots of 8x8 Flash memory on board. I've been asked around the net, google, difference forum most people said that my memory got busted. So I bought a brand new 8x8 flash as well as 16mb Dram but as soon as I turn the system up, I still get the same message on the screen so I'm out of idea other then probably there is a way to fix this but I get totally lost. I appreciate anyone opinions on this problem if maybe this device can be fix. Thank you so much for anyone help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ivan Shirshin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The "Bad I/O memory - wrote 0x04000004, read 0x04040004 at location 0x04000000" message indicates that the values saved to the DRAM are corrupted. This happens either due to the DRAM chip degradation or due to the board HW failure. Since you already replaced DRAM with no effect, that indicates the 2511 itself has a failure and needs to be replaced.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Ivan Shirshin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The "Bad I/O memory - wrote 0x04000004, read 0x04040004 at location 0x04000000" message indicates that the values saved to the DRAM are corrupted. This happens either due to the DRAM chip degradation or due to the board HW failure. Since you already replaced DRAM with no effect, that indicates the 2511 itself has a failure and needs to be replaced.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Hi Ivan,

Thank you so much for your feedback and as I mentioned that I have replaced the corrupted DRAM at first and there was no effect at all..and I also replaced the 8x8MB flash in noted that I'm going to have to re-install the 2500 IOS but also it was not effected so without any doubt that I have to replace the board HW which I'm not intent to of course. So my next move is to get another one from the eBay about $250 that include Octal and aui-transceiver. Well, that's the end of it..thanks again for your feedback..Have a nice day!

Thanks & regards,

Arif

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: