cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with Interface not coming up

coutoj
Level 1
Level 1

I have a script that logs into a switch and does either a Shutdown or a No shutdown of a given port. When the script does a No shutdown there are times when the port shows Not connected, other times it shows connected and everything works as expected. 

How can i debug this issue so that the port will always come online when the script issues the no shutdown command?

JC

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello coutoj,

Issuing the no shut command allows a port to be used that is it can become up/up if the port becomes up/down not connected it is likey because nothing is connected to the port or the device connected to the port has fixed settings of speed and duplex that does not allow to build a working link.

You should look at all cases of failures and see if there is anything in common (type of device on the other side of the link for example).

Collect all this info and analyze it.

The script can check the interface status after issuing the no shut and it can record all the failures but  I don't see much more it can do by itself.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: