Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with muticast in switch

Hi i have a switch cisco and i have a problem, let me explain. I have multiples servers(hosts) connected to the cisco that deliver a stream service so far so good but when i connect physically a new cable or when i make noise in the switch (up/down servers, reboot servers, disconnect a cable, etc) loose connectivity channels of a ramdom server o loose connectivity a entire server like for 1 minute or less and then comeback. I debug IGMPS but not say nothing, can you help me pls.

9 Replies 9

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Do you have an STP variant running? If so, are you using portfast on edge ports?

Hi, yes i have a stp and i using portfast

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This sounds more like a STP issue more than anything else. Could you post the switch config and perhaps "sh spanning-tree root"?

of course, i attached a txt with the running-config.

Root Hello Max Fwd
Vlan Root ID Cost Time Age Dly Root Port
---------------- -------------------- --------- ----- --- --- ------------
VLAN0001 32769 acf5.e620.9d00 0 2 20 15

The sh.

Hello,

Not sure the reasoning behind the way you have things configured, but you have spanning tree turned off on all the interfaces with the "spanning-tree bpdufilter enable" command and from what I can tell the "no ip igmp snooping tcn flood" allows flooding of all multicast packets anytime there's a topology change (for example a port going up and down). So every time you reboot a server or add a new connection, causing a port to go up or down, you're flooding all the ports with multicast traffic and basically creating a broadcast storm. Not to mention any broadcasts that probably compound the issue.

Unless there is a compelling reason, suggest removing the "no ip igmp snooping tcn flood" to see if that improves things, and then the "spanning-tree bpdufilter enable" if possible. Also, if this switch is connected to other network switches, removal of the bpdufilter may require a closer look.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

if i activate that i have to disabled the portfast of the interface?, let me explain

interface GigabitEthernet0/1
speed 100
spanning-tree portfast edge
spanning-tree bpdufilter enable

like this?, i have to disabled bpdu?

"spanning-tree bpdufilter enable" disables spanning tree bpdus on an interface. Essentially disabling STP. Which could be an issue if connected to other switches.

"spanning-tree portfast edge" allows for the immediate forwarding of packets until STP can run, mainly for purposes of DHCP and access ports.

I don't understand your response though. However, if you have portfast on an interface and are concerned about possible BPDUs, then you enable BPDU guard either globally or on an interface basis.

I do that you say, and it's work like for 8 hrs but the server have again fall and i don't know what can be the problem. I attached a txt with a log, like de 19:20 to 19:25 the servers loose the connection. I hope you can help me.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you show us high level network diagram, and post the configuraion along with show spanning root and block

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card