Views
Helpful
Replies

Product Suggestion

billbmcse
Level 1
Level 1

Hi gents,

I currently have a Cisco 850w that I use for my home router, wireless with 4 ports and I like to be able to tinker and use the CLI. Problem is that 4 ports is just not enough and I need to either and a workgroup switch to it or buy something to replace the 857w that has the same functionality but with more ports, 8 should be enough.

Can anyone recommend a similar Cisco product for home use like the 857w but with 8 ports?

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bill,

If you need more ports, just get a 16 port Netgear hub and connect it to one of your router's port

They are less then $100 and if you get it on eBay, it probably cost you about $20

http://www.pcrush.com/product/Switches-and-Bridges/519832/Netgear-ProSafe-16-Port-Fast-Ethernet-Switch?refid=1058

HTH

Reza

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Can anyone recommend a similar Cisco product for home use like the 857w but with 8 ports?

Not easy.  The 890w comes with an 8-port Layer 2 switch BUT it does NOT have ADSL1/2/2+ WAN port.   The next step up would be the 1861 and you'll need to purchase the HWIC-1ADSL card.  Hope this helps.

Data Sheet - Cisco 890 Series Integrated Services Routers

Q & A - Cisco 890 Series Integrated Services Routers

Data Sheet - Cisco 1861 Integrated Services Router

Please don't forget to rate our useful posts.  Thanks. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card