Views
Helpful
Replies

Product Suggestion

billbmcse
Level 1
Level 1

Hi gents,

I currently have a Cisco 850w that I use for my home router, wireless with 4 ports and I like to be able to tinker and use the CLI. Problem is that 4 ports is just not enough and I need to either and a workgroup switch to it or buy something to replace the 857w that has the same functionality but with more ports, 8 should be enough.

Can anyone recommend a similar Cisco product for home use like the 857w but with 8 ports?

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bill,

If you need more ports, just get a 16 port Netgear hub and connect it to one of your router's port

They are less then $100 and if you get it on eBay, it probably cost you about $20

http://www.pcrush.com/product/Switches-and-Bridges/519832/Netgear-ProSafe-16-Port-Fast-Ethernet-Switch?refid=1058

HTH

Reza

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Can anyone recommend a similar Cisco product for home use like the 857w but with 8 ports?

Not easy.  The 890w comes with an 8-port Layer 2 switch BUT it does NOT have ADSL1/2/2+ WAN port.   The next step up would be the 1861 and you'll need to purchase the HWIC-1ADSL card.  Hope this helps.

Data Sheet - Cisco 890 Series Integrated Services Routers

Q & A - Cisco 890 Series Integrated Services Routers

Data Sheet - Cisco 1861 Integrated Services Router

Please don't forget to rate our useful posts.  Thanks. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: