cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Proper Cabling for a 2 3750-x switch Stack

healthtrans_2
Level 1
Level 1

I have been looking at the Cisco Hardware docs and I can't find anything on the proper way to setup a 2 switch stack for Stackwise redundancy and Stackpower redundancy. Everything details 3 or more switches. Does anyone have some insight?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You just connect stack port 1 on the first switch to stack port 2 on the second and vice versa for both power and stackwise. The stackwise cables end up looking crossed over each other.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

You just connect stack port 1 on the first switch to stack port 2 on the second and vice versa for both power and stackwise. The stackwise cables end up looking crossed over each other.

Thanks Bradford. That was what I was thinking but just trying to make sure I am following recommended setup. Appreciate the confirmation!

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Crossovers (sw1 port 1 to sw2 port 2 and sw 1 port 2 to sw 2 port 1) are probably more common, but at least for StackWise, it will also work sw 1 port 1 to sw 2 port 1 and sw 1 port 2 to sw 2 port 2.  I think StackPower doesn't really care either, as long as you complete one or both rings.

BTW, StackPower has limitations to how much amperage can flow through the power cables.  You need to take into account maximum power draw per switch and where you place power supplies.  This gets a little tricky when you consider a power supply failure.

Hi Healthtrans_2

Can you please tell me one thing 

Is it safe to plug the power stacking cables while the stack switches are power on?

What is the recommended way?

Your reply will be highly appreciated.

Best Regards

Hi Bradford

Can you please tell me one thing 

Is it safe to plug the power satcking cables while the stack switches are power on?

What is the recomended way?

Your reply will be highly appreciated.

Best Regards

tariq-rashid
Level 1
Level 1

I just found this. Is the same for 2 2960-s switches?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card