cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Proper link-speed/duplex settings for 3750 to 3400?

tjalbrecht
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3750 connected to our providors 3400.  The connection had some issues this week, where I stopped receiving input packets, although the link remained in up/up state.  Bouncing the interface did not bring it back up.  However, changing the negotiation to auto/auto did.  We then changed it back to 100/Full, since it has been operating that way for months.

What should the proper setting be for a 3750 connected to a 3400?  Would auto work better than 100/Full?

Thanks,

T.J.

4 Replies 4

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have a 3750 connected to our providors 3400.  The connection had some issues this week, where I stopped receiving input packets, although the link remained in up/up state.  Bouncing the interface did not bring it back up.  However, changing the negotiation to auto/auto did.  We then changed it back to 100/Full, since it has been operating that way for months.

What should the proper setting be for a 3750 connected to a 3400?  Would auto work better than 100/Full?

Thanks,

T.J.

Hi T.J,

It will work in auto negotiation as autonegotiation link partner abilities are negotiated and use a priority resolution algorithm to establish the best mode of operation but genral recommendation and best to harcode at both the end with 1000 Mbps/Full Duplex setting.

Check out the below link on auto negotiationsettings between interfaces.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00800a7af0.shtml#auto_neg_valid

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

Ganesh,

I appreciate the quick response.  One issue is, my 3750 is only capable of 100/Full.  I am not sure, but I believe the providors switch may be capable of 1000/Full.  I will read over the link you sent.

Thank you,

T.J.

Thomas,

Its better and suggested to put the devices with different transmition parameters to "auto-negotiation". This will make sure that both the devices best negotiate on a common ground as per their capabilities/characterstics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonegotiation

Cheers,

-amit singh

tjalbrecht wrote:

One issue is, my 3750 is only capable of 100/Full.  I am not sure, but I believe the providors switch may be capable of 1000/Full.

Thank you,

T.J.

Depends.  If you want to enjoy Gig link to your provider, the 3750 has a minimum of 2 SFP ports.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco