cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PT, assigning IP to switch using DHCP via router

kalafijoras
Level 1
Level 1

Topology:   Router --> Switch --> 2 VLANs. I configured the router as DHCP server to give different IPs to different VLANs. How can I configure router to assign ip address dynamicly by its MAC address.

I was using this for VLANs:

ip dhcp pool vlan12

network xxx.xxx.x.x 255.255.255.0

default-router xxx.xxx.x.x

exit

ip dhcp excluded-address .....

What should I use for the switch?

I have found and didnt work:

hardware-address *MAC*

Thank you.

5 Replies 5

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello, Unfortunately - there is no option to create reservations in DHCP in PT - its a limitation.

You may wish you configure an ip address on the switch manually and have a default-gateway to the routers ip address.

hope this helps.

Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Hi,

still a limitation of PT which is very good for basic stuffs but is very limited in my humble opinion.

I know GNS3 is not endorsed by Cisco but if you can't afford to buy real material this is by far the best tool to learn and experiment.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

-you must look at the dynamic bindings to see the client-identifiers with sh ip dhcp binding command.

- clear the binding with clear ip dhcp binding x.x.x.x command

-configure the host pool with the client-identifier xxxxxx command with the identifier you got from the dynamic binding.

Regards

Alain

Hello Alain,

There is no option for this... Unless I was looking in the incorrect place?

ISP(dhcp-config)#?

default-router  Default routers

dns-server      Set name server

exit            Exit from DHCP pool configuration mode

network         Network number and mask

no              Negate a command or set its defaults

option          Raw DHCP options

Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Thats due to a limitation of PT.

Example, try the debug command, you will see you get two or three options, on a regular IOS you get tons.

As mentioned before, its good for basic stuff, but more advanced it can not handle. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card