Views
Helpful
Replies

PVST+ vs Rapid PVST+ interoperability

frede_frede
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've seen other discussions and confirm the compatibility between pvst+ and rapid-pvst + .

But I would like to leave a question, I have two Core Switches that support the two modes, but there are some nortel which are only compatible with pvst + and the new nexus only have rapid-pvst +, It is best to change the core for rapid-pvst +, or maintaining pvst +?

best regards,

Fred

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

John Peek
Level 1
Level 1

Rapid-STP is compatible with CST. I have seen older non-cisco switches not play nice with Cisco Rapid-PVST. So I had to set the Cisco switches to PVST. Keep in mind that the diameter of the network cannot be more than 7 with the default of timers of PVST. Reconvergence time is also reduced if you enable PVST, unless you enable things like uplinkfast or backbone fast.

View solution in original post

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi
Even though the Nexus series support both RSTP and MST I recommend changing the core to match the Nexus.

HTH

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

John Peek
Level 1
Level 1

Rapid-STP is compatible with CST. I have seen older non-cisco switches not play nice with Cisco Rapid-PVST. So I had to set the Cisco switches to PVST. Keep in mind that the diameter of the network cannot be more than 7 with the default of timers of PVST. Reconvergence time is also reduced if you enable PVST, unless you enable things like uplinkfast or backbone fast.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi
Even though the Nexus series support both RSTP and MST I recommend changing the core to match the Nexus.

HTH

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi John and Reza.

thanks for the responses

I'm goging to change the core

best regards

Fred

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: