cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PXE Boot Nexus 5500

Cory Anderson
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Nexus 5548UP VPC setup acting as a DHCP relay.  The DHCP server is on a Microsoft WDS server in order to simplify the setup.

DHCP is working on clients, but I can't get PXE boot to work.  If I place the DHCP client in the same VLAN as the WDS server it works fine.

I have read the articles on the difference between IOS/NX-OS DHCP forwarding, as well as similar scenarios with PXE not working.  Since my DHCP server is on the WDS server, the suggested solutions are inherently implemented.  I'm not running IP source guard.  Are there any other places to look for a solution?

It seems like this would come up often.  Has anybody solved it?

3 Replies 3

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Cory,

To my best knowledge, I belive if ip helper-address is configured on the interface facing the client stations then it should work.

Most of the configuration need to be done on DHCP server to point to tfp server from which PXE bootloader can be downloaded along with name of the file using tftp.

Hope it Helps

-GI

Rate if it Helpss

Thanks Ganesh,

The Nexus uses a DHCP relay command, rather than the IP Helper command in IOS.  I have DHCP working fine, but it doesn't get the options required for PXE unless I either use a IOS device as the relay, or put the DHCP server in the same VLAN as the clients.

Unfortunatley I don't think that's the solution here.

Thanks Ganesh,The Nexus uses a DHCP relay command, rather than the IP Helper command in IOS.  I have DHCP working fine, but it doesn't get the options required for PXE unless I either use a IOS device as the relay, or put the DHCP server in the same VLAN as the clients.Unfortunatley I don't think that's the solution here.

Hello Cory,

You are right , it was my mistake got confused with hybrid environement. What we have done to work PXE boot . Following setps been done to run the PXE boot work.

1) enable the feature dhcp

2) configure ip dhcp relay under vrf

Under SVI from where you want to relay DHCP packet, configure

3) ip dhcp relay address "ip address of DHCP server"

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Rate if it Helps

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card