cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Q-in-Q Question

terrygwazdosky
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 6500 in our main office and 3750's at several remote offices.  Our company also owns the"provider" part of the network and they want us to switch to doing q-in-q due to a new network infrastructure they are putting in place (non-Cisco gear).

Is it possible to send all traffic bound for those remote VLANS out the same interface by somehow using subinterfaces or do I need a seperate physical interface on the 6500 for each trunk?

I haven't had any luck searching so far, but perhaps I wasn't phrasing my search criteria correctly.

Thank you.

1 Reply 1

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 'provider' will tunnel everything coming from the client (which is you) that is directly connected to its physical interface.

The 'provider' won't differenciate its neighbor (which is you) has configured subinterfaces.

In addition, for subinterface support on a 6500 - you need a WAN module. You can't do it with regular line cards.

Regards,

Edison

Edit: With the 7600 platform, the 'provider' can do selective Q-in-Q. Not sure if your intended platform can do that.

But you may get away with subinterfaces on this case since each subinterface will map to a different encapsulated .1Q

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/install_config/ES40_config_guide/es40_chap4.html#wp1644678

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card