Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS bandwidth customization

adamgibs7
Level 6
Level 6

Hello,

i have a 1 MB link on a router which is divided as follows 256kbps for 4 voice calls, 500kbps for 1 video call, 256kbps for Data, from which i have to achieve the below.

• Incase data is not transmitting or not available for any instance 5th  voice call should go from data bandwidth.
  • If anybody sending the data traffic for 2 MB it should drop the packets for data and not for 4 voice calls and 1 video.
  • If there is no voice calls or video calls data should be transferred with 1 MB link.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

adamgibs7
Level 6
Level 6

Hello,

Can anybody help me to solve the above requirement

thanks

Hi

assuming you have marked your voice and Video traffic correctly, then have something like this for your policy, this assumes the WAN bandwidth is 1Mbps, you also need to allow some bandwidth for the voice control traffic

policy-map QOS_OUT_1MB
 class RT-VOICE
  priority percent 25
 class RT-VIDEO
  bandwidth percent 50 
 class CONTROL
  bandwidth percent 3 
 class class-default
  shape average 1000000 10000 10000
  queue-limit 64 packets
  random-detect dscp-based
  random-detect dscp 0 32 64 10

then on the WAN interface add the following command

bandwidth 1000 < remember to set the bandwidth so the QOS percentages will work

service-policy output QOS_OUT_1MB

regards

Richard

Richard, just wondering. . .

Class class-default will get 22%?  If pre-HQF, what about the default rule of being unable to allocate more than 75% to non class-default classes without changing maximum allocation?  If HQF, without explicitly defining the 22%, you're sure that's what it will be?

Why are you shaping in class-default?

What's the reasoning behind the queue-limit, using WRED, and WRED's custom BE setting?

Joseph.

You are right of course, I just took part of one of my configs, I am not sure whether the bandwidth was 1 or 2 Mbps . The WRED bit was because we classify all our data traffic according to importance as well

was trying to give an idea of whats required.

Richard, gotcha, thanks.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What do you desire to happen for the 5th VoIP call if data is transmitting?

What router and IOS will you be using?  (QoS features vary on platforms and IOS versions.)

What kind of video?  Specifically real-time or streaming?  Is the 500 Kbps an average or peak?

What codecs are you using for your VoIP and video?  (As your allowing [?] 64 Kbps for each VoIP call, I just wanted to insure you're not using G.711 which requires more wire bandwidth then 64 Kbps - see http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice/voice-quality/7934-bwidth-consume.html)

Is the 1 Mbps link hand-off also physically that at the egress port?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card